What card is better?

PositiveRaisin2
3 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

Which is better a reference 1080 or a custom open air 1070?

Hands down reference 1080

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

7 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

How much faster?

Depends on the application. At least 10-15% worst case. up to 22-25% at most if i had to throw some quick numbers at you.

Really for games probably around 20% give or take.

Just watch any review/benchmark on youtube. (Gamers Nexus, Hardware unboxed, LTT, Digital Foundry, ect..)

Edited by BarackOBatman
Added more detail

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 hour ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

Which is better a reference 1080 or a custom open air 1070?

1070 or 1070ti ?

This has been tested several time.

A stock GTX 1080 FE will perform about equal to an overclocked GTX 1070ti with a big aftermarket cooler.

So I would easily choose a GTX 1080 cause you can overclock this as well thoough the stock cooler on these isn't great. 

You can also change the cooler on a FE GPU with an aftermarket cooler from NZXT, Artic Cooling, Raijintek etc.. which would allow you to overclock it even further.

The standard GTX 1070 in any shape or form is easily left behind.

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

59 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

1070 or 1070ti ?

This has been tested several time.

A stock GTX 1080 FE will perform about equal to an overclocked GTX 1070ti with a big aftermarket cooler.

So I would easily choose a GTX 1080 cause you can overclock this as well thoough the stock cooler on these isn't great. 

You can also change the cooler on a FE GPU with an aftermarket cooler from NZXT, Artic Cooling, Raijintek etc.. which would allow you to overclock it even further.

The standard GTX 1070 in any shape or form is easily left behind.

I found a gigabyte 1070 non ti for 180 about a week ago. after a glance on craigslist today I found a 1080 fe for 200. so i want to know if its worth the hassle to resell my card for that one.

1 hour ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I found a gigabyte 1070 non ti for 180 about a week ago. after a glance on craigslist today I found a 1080 fe for 200. so i want to know if its worth the hassle to resell my card for that one.

Do you already have a 1070? If you haven't purchased a video card yet, I would go with a 1080 for 200. That is an excellent price. If you've got money to spend and time to kill then picking up the 1080 for 200 and selling the 1070 TI would be good.

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

Do you already have a 1070 TI? If so I would not sell it as it would not be worth the time if it were me. If you have tons of free time on your hands you could hypothetically sell it. If you haven't purchased a video card yet, I would go with a 1080 for 200. If you're tight on cash go with the 1070 ti for $180. they're both a pretty good deal.

I already have a non ti 1070, but i am worried about thermals on the 1080 fe that is on craigslist 

3 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I already have a non ti 1070, but i am worried about thermals on the 1080 fe that is on craigslist 

I edited the previous reply after I reread your message. The thermals will suck but the 1080 will still perform quite a bit better regardless. The sucky thermals are not going to hurt anything, as it won't be overheating. It just won't boost very high and it will be louder.

Just now, BarackOBatman said:

I edited the previous reply after I reread your message. The thermals will suck but the 1080 will still perform quite a bit better regardless. It's not going to hurt anything. It will just be louder.

Im going to see how the craigslist pans out

• 2 months later...

I added an arctic accelero cooler to my gtx 1080 and the temps are at most around 45-50 C. Cost me 50 bucks. Could do that and overclock the 1080 even further