Games crash when waking from sleep

Zelgiusthebrave
Go to solution Solved by RainfallWithin,

I'm glad to hear unticking 'Enable GPU accelerated rendering in web views' has stopped the crashes after sleep. After a longer testing period, you might want to mark this as solved.

It's strange that Steam's own GPU rendering would prevent games being launched. Bugs such as this really highlight the risk of game launchers, which could cause someone to lose access to all of the games they own.

Hello friends,

I've had an issue with my PC about a month now and have been unable to solve it myself or with my friends who are fairly PC knowledgeable. There is another that may also be a part of the problem involving Discord but I'm not convinced it is, however I will mention it anyways for the sake of troubleshooting this sleep issue.

The issue is, when I get home from work and wake the computer from sleep, when I go to load up a game it will start to load and then black screen and crash. The only fix is to restart the machine and after that everything works as normal, loads things just fine and I am able to game freely until the next time I put it to sleep and come back to it. I have noticed that occasionally, I can wake the PC and it will let me game right away without crashing or a restart, but this is rare enough that I never paid attention to how often it works normally. This applies to all games I own on Steam and Satisfactory on the Epic Store (only game I have via Epic Store at present.) 

The other issue which i'm sure is unrelated to the sleep thing (but I'd like to mention it on the off chance it is) when I connect to a voice chat in Discord, it will connect but then lag for about a minute give or take before I can actually transmit and receive audio.

My specs and firmware versions are as follows
AMD Ryzen 3700x (OCed to 4.0Ghz, issue persists when set to stock)

Asus Crosshair Vii Hero (wifi)

Corsair H150i Pro

G Skill Trident Z Royal 2 8GB sticks at 3600Mhz (issue persists when set to out-of-box speeds)

MSI Geforce Gaming 6G 980 Ti (NOT OCed)

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 (OS and most software such as Steam for example)

Western Digital 3TB Black hard drive (Games and other various storage)

EVGA Supernova P2 1000W

Lian-Li PC 011 Dynamic Razer Edition

BIOS Version 2901

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Version 1909

NVidia driver 441.66 (and I see 441.87 is available but I'm reluctant to update for now)

Samsung M.2 Driver I'm unsure of, cannot find the firmware number, however it tells me I am at the most current version when I check for updates)

Corsair ICUE 3.22.74

Razer Synapse Version 3.5.116.10714

Discord (Whatever the 12/19/2019 update is)

Steam and Epic Launcher are running the most current versions (Unsure how to find the version number for either)

If there is any other information needed, let me know and I will do my best, thank you.

Mainframe:// SIVA

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)
  • RAM G.Skill Trident Z Royal (Silver) 3600Mhz 16Gb
  • GPU MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G
  • Case Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition
  • Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB / 1x WD Black 3TB
  • PSU EVGA Supernova 1000x
  • Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
  • Displays Acer Predator x34 Ultrawide, LG 2558UM-P
  • Audio Schitt Audio Asgard 2 AMP, Bifrost Multibit DAC, Sennheiser HD600, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Audio Technica AT2035
  • Peripherals Corsair K70 LUX, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Orbweaver, Thrustmaster T16000m x2 HOTAS
  • Extra Stuff Clutch Chairs Gear Series Elgato HD60 Pro, Elgato Streamdeck, Logitech c920 Webcam, Custom Built acoustic altering backboard.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your motherboard and graphics cards from ASUS and nVidia?

14 hours ago, RainfallWithin said:

Is Steam already running when you are putting the computer to sleep?

Yes, when I put the PC asleep usually Steam is left running and it is still running (and functional, I can browse my library and the store) without issues only when games are launched.

14 hours ago, The89Lunder said:

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your motherboard and graphics cards from ASUS and nVidia?

The only driver that is out of date is my NVidia Driver, however the issues started shortly after I updated to the most recent version back in December (441.66) as that is when I had rebuilt the PC (New CPU, mobo, ram, and boot ssd with a full new windows 10 install) and I am not on 441.87 (1/6/2020 update) but I could give that a go.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Audio Schitt Audio Asgard 2 AMP, Bifrost Multibit DAC, Sennheiser HD600, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, Audio Technica AT2035
  • Peripherals Corsair K70 LUX, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Razer Orbweaver, Thrustmaster T16000m x2 HOTAS
  • Extra Stuff Clutch Chairs Gear Series Elgato HD60 Pro, Elgato Streamdeck, Logitech c920 Webcam, Custom Built acoustic altering backboard.

Would you try closing Steam before putting the computer to sleep? Then, after waking the computer up, launch Steam and try to run a game and see if there are any crashes.

If the game doesn't crash, then we can assume that Steam can't handle being put to sleep. If the game does crash,  then we can assume that Steam is not the problem.

15 hours ago, RainfallWithin said:

Would you try closing Steam before putting the computer to sleep? Then, after waking the computer up, launch Steam and try to run a game and see if there are any crashes.

If the game doesn't crash, then we can assume that Steam can't handle being put to sleep. If the game does crash,  then we can assume that Steam is not the problem.

I will give that a go tomorrow evening after work. Tonight after updating my NVidia driver the other night, issue still persists.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

On 1/27/2020 at 6:16 AM, RainfallWithin said:

So I did just that, games still crash. I also tried from the Epic Store which I did not have launched at the time either, after restart both launchers can load up games and I can play them without issues.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

That's good information.

I suggest running 3DMark Time Spy when your computer is running normally to see your CPU and GPU scores under normal circumstances.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/3DMark/?_ga=2.120840072.1615137562.1580306144-625708611.1580306144

Once you've got a normal score, you can run it again after waking the computer from sleep to see how your score is affected. This will tell us if your CPU and GPU are running correctly after sleep.

If 3DMark doesn't run after sleep because Steam won't let it, you could do the same test using Cinebench R20, although that would be testing your CPU only.

https://www.maxon.net/es/productos/cinebench-r20-overview/

On 1/29/2020 at 8:10 AM, RainfallWithin said:

That's good information.

I suggest running 3DMark Time Spy when your computer is running normally to see your CPU and GPU scores under normal circumstances.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/223850/3DMark/?_ga=2.120840072.1615137562.1580306144-625708611.1580306144

Once you've got a normal score, you can run it again after waking the computer from sleep to see how your score is affected. This will tell us if your CPU and GPU are running correctly after sleep.

If 3DMark doesn't run after sleep because Steam won't let it, you could do the same test using Cinebench R20, although that would be testing your CPU only.

https://www.maxon.net/es/productos/cinebench-r20-overview/

Managed to run Time Spy, both times it loaded fine and received the same scores.

I want to mention, for some odd reason after running Time Spy when games wouldn't launch (after waking from sleep) I could then load into games.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

It's good you were able to run 3DMark Time Spy before and after sleep, and it's nice to see that your hardware doesn't have a problem after sleep and reaches the same performance.

Maybe Steam is having a problem connecting to its servers after sleep and preventing your games from launching. An easy thing to test would be to configure 1 of your games to run in 'offline mode', then try launching that game after waking the computer from sleep.

7 hours ago, RainfallWithin said:

It's good you were able to run 3DMark Time Spy before and after sleep, and it's nice to see that your hardware doesn't have a problem after sleep and reaches the same performance.

Maybe Steam is having a problem connecting to its servers after sleep and preventing your games from launching. An easy thing to test would be to configure 1 of your games to run in 'offline mode', then try launching that game after waking the computer from sleep.

What would cause this to happen?

I used to wake my pc from sleep and launch no issues, with this exact build (at least for 2-3 weeks after it was built end of last November) and prior to my motherboard failing, with my old build too which used most of the same parts.

Just for reference too, the only changes the old build had was the cpu, board, ram, and my M.2 boot drive which fried sadly (i7 6850k, asrock x99 professional gaming i7, g skill ripjaws 32gb ram kit, samsung 950 pro M.2) all the other parts are the same. 

Also, since Steam is stored on my 970 Evo right now, I went ahead and reinstalled the launcher after running a benchmark within the Samsung Magician software, my 970 comes back healthy with expected results and after a reinstall of Steam, still persists.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

Different CPUs and motherboards have different types of low power modes, but in this instance I don't think your hardware is faulty.

As well as the previous idea I had that you can try, which is to set a game in 'offline mode' and see if it works, I have another idea which is to go to your Steam interface settings and untick 'Enable GPU accelerated rendering in web views'.

On 2/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, RainfallWithin said:

Different CPUs and motherboards have different types of low power modes, but in this instance I don't think your hardware is faulty.

As well as the previous idea I had that you can try, which is to set a game in 'offline mode' and see if it works, I have another idea which is to go to your Steam interface settings and untick 'Enable GPU accelerated rendering in web views'.

So i disabled that, and did things for a few days to just test it out hence the late reply to you, and so far so good that seems to have worked.

Now I'm dealing with a bluescreen issue but I think I know what is causing that.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

I'm glad to hear unticking 'Enable GPU accelerated rendering in web views' has stopped the crashes after sleep. After a longer testing period, you might want to mark this as solved.

It's strange that Steam's own GPU rendering would prevent games being launched. Bugs such as this really highlight the risk of game launchers, which could cause someone to lose access to all of the games they own.

1 hour ago, RainfallWithin said:

It could have been coincidental too, such as I untick the box and an update comes through without me noticing and makes it work properly. My PC still randomly wakes itself up from sleep without any input (and I've got USB power settings set to off to prevent that so it must be windows update) so there's all kinds of issues that I've never been able to sort out with windows still haha.

I was nearly to the point of backing up my local files and doing a fresh windows install, but sadly time is never on my side.

• CPU Ryzen 7 3700x

Since your computer is randomly waking, you could check if your computer is using 'connected standby / modern standby'. This is enabled by default in Windows if the mortherboard and CPU support it and it can cause some computers to power on during standby.

Here's a quick guide by Notebookcheck to check which standby state the computer is using and how to change it if it's causing problems. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Useful-Life-Hack-How-to-Disable-Modern-Standby-Connected-Standby.453125.0.html

• 7 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 6:47 AM, RainfallWithin said:

OMG. Thank you so much for this tip. I have been having this exact issue (2080ti just started having all kinds of issues with plummeting FPS and even rebooting the entire computer-- but only after playing games *after* waking from sleep). I have had same hardware for over 1.5 years now and I could not figure out what the problem was. Somehow, this one tickbox in Steam (Enable GPU accelerated rendering in web views) seems to be the culprit after several hours of testing (e.g, putting computer to sleep for 10 min, bringing back up and launching games). No idea how this one thing could cause such problems but THANK YOU!