Monitor doesn't power up with rx 580

Hello everyone,

Few years ago I bought an Acer pre-assembled pc, not the best but not bad either, and set myself on eventually upgrading it, so I recently bought a brand new PSU and a used Rx 580. Thing is when I connect the RX to the computer and power it, it doesn't show the monitor... the gpu powers up , fans start spinning and the lights power up as well, but the gpu instead of displaying the actual pc the monitor just loops between the "Analogic" and "HDMI" modes of the monitor. Tried with another monitor, a TV, many different hdmi cables but nothing seems to work, the desktop just doesn't show up.

If I try changing back to the old gpu(gt 720), everything works just fine.

What is causing this and how can i fix it?

My pc specs:

Mobo:   generic one, came with the pc

Cpu:   i5 7400

Ram:  12gb, came with the pc, i don't know the brand

Hdd: 1tb toshiba, came with the pc

Gpu: gt 720(old one)/rx 580(new one)

Psu:  coolermaster masterwatt lite 600w

Used RX580 worries me. It was a prime target for miners and often when they fuck up cards with power or fan settings, the outputs start to go. Have you tried using a different GPU output? 

30 minutes ago, Andre2097 said:

Hello everyone,

Few years ago I bought an Acer pre-assembled pc, not the best but not bad either, and set myself on eventually upgrading it, so I recently bought a brand new PSU and a used Rx 580. Thing is when I connect the RX to the computer and power it, it doesn't show the monitor... the gpu powers up , fans start spinning and the lights power up as well, but the gpu instead of displaying the actual pc the monitor just loops between the "Analogic" and "HDMI" modes of the monitor. Tried with another monitor, a TV, many different hdmi cables but nothing seems to work, the desktop just doesn't show up.

If I try changing back to the old gpu(gt 720), everything works just fine.

What is causing this and how can i fix it?

My pc specs:

Mobo:   generic one, came with the pc

Cpu:   i5 7400

Ram:  12gb, came with the pc, i don't know the brand

Hdd: 1tb toshiba, came with the pc

Gpu: gt 720(old one)/rx 580(new one)

Psu:  coolermaster masterwatt lite 600w

Make sure you plug your monitor to the port(s) on the back of the RX-580, and NOT to the back of the motherboard.

Also, the PCI-E power connector(s) on the side of the card is MANDATORY, so make sure that/those are connected.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Make sure you plug your monitor to the port(s) on the back of the RX-580, and NOT to the back of the motherboard.

Also, the PCI-E power connector(s) on the side of the card is MANDATORY, so make sure that/those are connected.

It was implied that I know how to properly run a gpu, this was already done and checked probably 5 times.

3 hours ago, Mbowen said:

Used RX580 worries me. It was a prime target for miners and often when they fuck up cards with power or fan settings, the outputs start to go. Have you tried using a different GPU output? 

I tried both HDMI ports on my model, I can't try the others as I don't have the necessary cable

9 hours ago, Mbowen said:

I read about people who said to upgrade the Bios,  should I give it a shot?

7 hours ago, Andre2097 said:

I read about people who said to upgrade the Bios,  should I give it a shot?

I mean... you can always try that. The only time I've ever seen Bios get in the way of the GPU is when the GPU is running a different kind of bios that the mobo can't use. I think the last pairing I saw was an OEM hp/Dell with an i7- 2600 and a GTX 780. Card couldn't even put out a signal. But in this case your card is new enough. 

You don't happen to have another computer or friend with a computer that could help you narrow down your issue to purely GPU do you?

26 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

I mean... you can always try that. The only time I've ever seen Bios get in the way of the GPU is when the GPU is running a different kind of bios that the mobo can't use. I think the last pairing I saw was an OEM hp/Dell with an i7- 2600 and a GTX 780. Card couldn't even put out a signal. But in this case your card is new enough. 

You don't happen to have another computer or friend with a computer that could help you narrow down your issue to purely GPU do you?

Unfortunately, I don't... but there is a shop near my house which assembles PCs, it's worth asking if he can do me the favor(he has a Test Bench) and test it. But I'll try with the Bios first, just in case

Yup, that's a great option. Do the bios update first and then bring the card down and offer the guys at the shop $5 to see if it powers up. It's pretty simple so I doubt that they'd charge you if you said, 

"Not looking for a full diagnosis, I've been playing around with this for a few days and I've gotten to the point where I wonder if it's my motherboard. Can you plug this in and see if you get any kind of signal from the HDMI?"

Let me know how it goes!

4 hours ago, Mbowen said:

Yup, that's a great option. Do the bios update first and then bring the card down and offer the guys at the shop $5 to see if it powers up. It's pretty simple so I doubt that they'd charge you if you said, 

"Not looking for a full diagnosis, I've been playing around with this for a few days and I've gotten to the point where I wonder if it's my motherboard. Can you plug this in and see if you get any kind of signal from the HDMI?"

Let me know how it goes!

So, I tried with the Bios and nothing. But I got some kind of "result", I hadn't tried yet to use the Cpu's integrated chip... well, I tried and got the same result I have with the Rx(looping between Hdmi and Analogic), so I went to check in the Bios and found out that the Onboard Graphics are disabled. Unfortunately I don't know how to turn them on and I don't even know if it matters something but since they both (rx and integrated gpu) don't work and i'm truly out of ideas, I'm going to imagine that the Onboard Graphics being disabled somehow screw up with the Rx?

I spoke with the guy from the shop and I'm going to bring him the Rx(and my pc, for testing on the mobo) tomorrow, I'll tell about this thing with the integrated graphics and hopefully he'll be able to help me.

2 hours ago, Andre2097 said:

So, I tried with the Bios and nothing. But I got some kind of "result", I hadn't tried yet to use the Cpu's integrated chip... well, I tried and got the same result I have with the Rx(looping between Hdmi and Analogic), so I went to check in the Bios and found out that the Onboard Graphics are disabled. Unfortunately I don't know how to turn them on and I don't even know if it matters something but since they both (rx and integrated gpu) don't work and i'm truly out of ideas, I'm going to imagine that the Onboard Graphics being disabled somehow screw up with the Rx?

I spoke with the guy from the shop and I'm going to bring him the Rx(and my pc, for testing on the mobo) tomorrow, I'll tell about this thing with the integrated graphics and hopefully he'll be able to help me.

So hold on, you are able to get the monitor/display the BIOS menu?

Well, whatever you are plugged into that outputs a picture to the display is working.

If your RX-580 or iGPU is broken/dead, you won't see anything on the screen.

Is it looping between HDMI and Analog once it starts to load into Windows then??

Now this question comes up -- did you uninstall the old nVidia drivers BEFORE installing the RX-580 ?

nVidia drivers installed + AMD GPU (and vice-versa) won't play nice.

iGPU is usually automatically disabled once the motherboard detects a graphics card in the PCI-E X16 slot.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

So hold on, you are able to get the monitor/display the BIOS menu?

Well, whatever you are plugged into that outputs a picture to the display is working.

If your RX-580 or iGPU is broken/dead, you won't see anything on the screen.

Is it looping between HDMI and Analog once it starts to load into Windows then??

Now this question comes up -- did you uninstall the old nVidia drivers BEFORE installing the RX-580 ?

nVidia drivers installed + AMD GPU (and vice-versa) won't play nice.

iGPU is usually automatically disabled once the motherboard detects a graphics card in the PCI-E X16 slot.

I display the Bios on the screen by using the old GPU, the RX as I said already, doesn't work under any circumstance I tried (removing NVIDIA drivers was the first thing I did before installing the RX for the first time)

On 1/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, Mbowen said:

Let me know how it goes!

So, here's a full update: I went to the guy's shop and we tested my MOBO and pc with a few other GPUs(a 1030, a 1060, a RX 570 and a 1650) so we could safely say that it wasn't my MOBO causing the problem. We than tried the RX 580 on another MOBO and guess what? Lights on, fans spin but no output. Upon closer inspection we found two "burned tracks" (idk if that's what they are, he called them that) and he was almost certainly sure that was what caused the GPU to "work" but actually not give any output. We tried all ports (HDMI, Display Port and DVI) and none of them worked, so we safely concluded that the issue was indeed the GPU. I'm going to ask Ebay for a refund now and hope that all goes for the best (I paid with Paypal so I shouldn't have issues). Really thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Thanks for the update! 

"Tracks" are most likely really Traces. They're the lines on the circuit board that carry power or data around the circuit board. Likely the traces got burned out by someone either overclocking or doing something they shouldn't.... Either way you should be good. Ebay doesn't mess around with refunds. 

If you want another GPU, I would recommend checking out r/hardwareswap. I often find better deals over there than ebay, (or anywhere else), when dealing with people with 5+ trades etc. 

Good luck with your refund and future card!