MacBook Pro lag after a few minutes of idle

Ashleyyyy

My Mid-2012 MacBook Pro will experience a lot of lag if I leave it idle for a few minutes. like, I'll turn on the screensaver, go to the bathroom, come back and the screensaver will lag all over the place and it takes a few seconds for the password screen to come up if I press a key. 

it also happens without the screensaver running. if I leave it for a while and come back the machine will be unresponsive for a few seconds when I move the mouse again etc. 

during normal use the system is still very fast. I experienced slowdowns before due to a bad drive cable, but I ran a disk speed test and the drive speed is fine. I also have Macs Fan Control installed along with istatmenu's and the system goes to a max temp of about 60 degrees with the screen saver running when the lag begins. I have replaced the thermal paste in this Mac so it runs very cool. 

I'm curious as to what this could be. I have Windows 10 installed as well via bootcamp and I haven't experienced the lag in Windows. so I don't think anything is wrong with my laptop, rather I believe it is a bug in Catalina. is there any fix for this? I disabled the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" thing in settings but that did nothing.

She/Her

I haven't noticed this exactly, but my Mid-2014 Macbook Air started flickering & running super slow in fullscreen after updating to Catalina.

Only when fullscreened (Like YouTube or a game like Minecraft) did this happen, didn't have a screensaver on at the time so I don't really know if that was affected as well.

Turns out Catalina doesn't like the old version of Paragon NTFS I was using; are you running an older version?

If not then I hope someone else can help you :)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

1 hour ago, Sfekke said:

Turns out Catalina doesn't like the old version of Paragon NTFS I was using; are you running an older version?

I've never heard of that software lol, I've never used it. I might have to go through some apps then, but the weird thing is I've been running Catalina since the beta and this started happening after a reformat a few weeks ago... 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

I've never heard of that software lol, I've never used it. I might have to go through some apps then, but the weird thing is I've been running Catalina since the beta and this started happening after a reformat a few weeks ago... 

It was worth a shot, I don't know why this happened; maybe someone else does!

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*