Upgrading from GTX 770 2gb

Mork23

Hello everyone,

First some specs about my pc. I have had this for a few years now and am trying to squeeze a couple of years out of it before I do a total upgrade.

Gigabyte GAx58A UD5 motherboard

Intel i7 950

GTX 770 2gb

12gb corsair 1333mhz ddr3 ram

Noctua cooler can remember exact specs

Silverstone 750w bronze powersupply

I understand with my motherboard I am limited to a better processor. Would an i7 980x be a reasonable choice? Its my understanding the 990x or 980x are the best for this motherboard but 980x is probably more cost effective?

I am also thinking of getting a GTX 1060 6gb GPU as an upgrade before my processor upgrade. Is this card compatible with the i7 950. How will it perform with the i7 980x?

Thanks

GPU is totally compatible with any motherboard if it has a PCIe slot.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

GPU is totally compatible with any motherboard if it has a PCIe slot.

Would it bottleneck hard with an i7 950 until I upgrade my CPU?

I'm guessing your GTX 770 was in a PCIe slot, so any GPU with a PCIe slot, including the 1060 6G would be compatible with that processor. Sure x58 has slower PCIe gen2 but that shouldn't be an issue with a GPU. 

Render first, questions later, regrets possible.

Given the choice between the 990X and 980X, I'd choose whichever is cheaper. They're old chips so I'd imagine they'd fall around the $50 mark. They're not different enough that it really matters in my opinion.

As for graphics card, even a 950 shouldn't hold back a 1060 6GB at 1080p unless you're playing at 100+Hz.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, xyc_notz said:

I'm guessing your GTX 770 was in a PCIe slot, so any GPU with a PCIe slot, including the 1060 6G would be compatible with that processor. Sure x58 has slower PCIe gen2 but that shouldn't be an issue with a GPU. 

Thanks, any suggestions for a good card to upgrade the 770 to? Keeping in mind I plan to upgrade my CPU from the 950 to maybe a 980x (or above if anyone can suggest a more powerful processor that is compatible with the x58 mobo)

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Given the choice between the 990X and 980X, I'd choose whichever is cheaper. They're old chips so I'd imagine they'd fall around the $50 mark. They're not different enough that it really matters in my opinion.

As for graphics card, even a 950 shouldn't hold back a 1060 6GB at 1080p unless you're playing at 100+Hz.

Would the 980x or 990x be the best choice of a cpu upgrade for the x58?

Just now, Mork23 said:

Would it bottleneck hard with an i7 950 until I upgrade my CPU?

From benchmarks, the i7 950 shouldn't be a massive bottleneck for a 1060. Benchmarks show the 980x performs like a 2200g:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1666-old-1000-cpu-vs-budget-ryzen/

While tests with a slower i7 930 show it still manages playable framerates of 60-70+ fps:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2980-intel-i7-930-revisit-nehalem-benchmarks-2017/page-3

Render first, questions later, regrets possible.

2 hours ago, Mork23 said:

Would the 980x or 990x be the best choice of a cpu upgrade for the x58?

990X, unless the 980X is cheaper.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!