recommended network traffic logger

hi guys, i want to have an traffic logger in my home network like which ip address visited which page, what kind of devices are connected to my network, who is doing what on my network etc. Does anyone have a recommended software with a nice and understandable dashboard?

would it be ok if i run the traffic logger on my pc or would it be better on a seperate hypervisor with port mirroring to the VM?

any suggestion would be appreciated.

You can checkout Glasswire. LMG has been advertising it for a while.

You may also be able to try WireShark but that's more of a "On the fly" monitoring tool than a long term monitoring solution. Could probably be used for either situation though.

8 minutes ago, Acn03 said:

would it be ok if i run the traffic logger on my pc or would it be better on a seperate hypervisor with port mirroring to the VM?

You'll want to make sure that your PC gets to see all the network traffic. Depending on your network configuration traffic not intended for your machine might simply not reach it.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

You can checkout Glasswire. LMG has been advertising it for a while.

You may also be able to try WireShark but that's more of a "On the fly" monitoring tool than a long term monitoring solution. Could probably be used for either situation though.

isn't glasswire just for the traffic of the device it is installed on? and wireshark is a bit too advanced and without a good dashboard (i think).

Some routers offer that functionality maybe yours does already you just need to enable it?

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

1 minute ago, Kon-Tiki said:

You'll want to make sure that your PC gets to see all the network traffic. Depending on your network configuration traffic not intended for your machine might simply not reach it.

would port mirroring to the traffic logger be not enough?

9 minutes ago, Acn03 said:

isn't glasswire just for the traffic of the device it is installed on? and wireshark is a bit too advanced and without a good dashboard (i think).

Those are what I can offer as ideas. If they don't meet your criteria then all I can say is I tried to help. I do believe pfSense has traffic logging functionality if you're interested in building your own router but beyond that those are my only ideas.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Those are what I can offer as ideas. If they don't meet your criteria then all I can say is I tried to help. I do believe pfSense has traffic logging functionality if you're interested in building your own router but beyond that those are my only ideas.

thanks for the replies, much appreciated