My laptop is behaving in a very weird manner after I undervolted the CPU

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

The default voltage curve is not an exact match for the amount of voltage that the CPU needs to run 100% stable. Offset voltage reduces voltage along the entire curve. An offset that is OK for full load stability will usually not be enough when cores are lightly loaded. Running 1 or 2 threads of Prime95 or similar is just as important as full load testing.

A laptop that is stable at full load and part load at -180 mV rarely happens.

So I recently bought the 2019 G7 model with RTX 2060. Despite putting in more powerful hardware than the 2018 model, those geniuses at Dell made the chassis smaller; so the heat output is massive. So, I decided to undervolted my CPU to reduce temps, which worked wonders.

I used the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to perform the undervolting. I reduced the power to .180V and ran a stress test for about 10 minutes and nothing happened. But here's the weird part, my system would automatically crash as I am using it after about an hour or so of using it. So, this time I reduced the power to .150V and ran a stress test for around 4 hours and nothing happened. I can use my system for hours and nothing would go wrong, but as soon as I leave my system ideal and come back, I would find that the system has already crashed, restarted and the utility program has changed my setting to default telling me that the system crashed.

Can you guys help me figure out what the heck is going on?

I'm not an undervolting expert, so I can only guess what's going on. What I believe to be possible is that the voltage to the CPU becomes unstable under a certain threshold voltage when not under load, possibly due to limitations on the technical side of things (the way the voltage regulation works internally). So you might want to set the voltage to stock and then slowly reduce it until the system gets unstable on idle, finally reverting to the last stable setting.

2 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

I'm not an undervolting expert, so I can only guess what's going on. What I believe to be possible is that the voltage to the CPU becomes unstable under a certain threshold voltage when not under load, possibly due to limitations on the technical side of things (the way the voltage regulation works internally). So you might want to set the voltage to stock and then slowly reduce it until the system gets unstable on idle, finally reverting to the last stable setting.

I did undervolt my system the way you are describing. I would lower the voltage, run a ten minute stress test and start the process again. What I am really curious about is why did the system pass a ten minute stress test at .180V but crashed at the same power offset after an hour or so of usage. I believe that the reason why system crashes at .150V when left idle for extended amounts of time is because some kind of power management kicks in and essentially cuts off all the power leading to a crash. 

The default voltage curve is not an exact match for the amount of voltage that the CPU needs to run 100% stable. Offset voltage reduces voltage along the entire curve. An offset that is OK for full load stability will usually not be enough when cores are lightly loaded. Running 1 or 2 threads of Prime95 or similar is just as important as full load testing.

A laptop that is stable at full load and part load at -180 mV rarely happens.