New psu keeps stalling

newcastlelad

Hi everyone I hope someone can help. After my PC running fine for a few years. About 6 months ago every time I turned the PC on I would hear a pop. I wasn't sure what this was and it didn't seem to affect anything.  A few days ago the PC wouldn't turn on at all. There was no power at all even the lights in the case were not turning on so I thought it must be the PSU....not sure if this is where the popping had came from. I bought a new PSU and fit it today.

I was so happy to see the PC start up and everything lit up the motherboard the lights the fans the GPU but after a few seconds everything powered down and stayed off for a few seconds and turned on itself again for a few seconds and again died a few seconds later. This cycle would go on endlessly over and over if I didn't turn the power off manually.

Anybody got any ideas? Could the old PSU dying have broke the other components? I'm no expert with this stuff so any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Your first PSU may have died the death of caps. Yes, a dying PSU can damage other components as well. Is there by chance the option to check the components separately?

Your mainboard, hence it must be somewhat old, may have insufficient chipset-cooling by now. You can try to repaste the heatsink(s) sitting on the mainboard.

It is probable that your PSU died and took your motherboard with it. If you can test your parts desperately do so. But, be aware that broken components may kill more.

It's also worth trying to just clean everything really well and out it back together and see if it works.