Frame times randomly increased. Need help fixing it

Zaichi

I just built my computer about a week ago (AMD Ryzen 2200g, AMD RX570 4gb, 8gb 3200mhz ram, MSI B450m Pro VDH Max, EVGA 500 watt psu), no overclocking . I got Borderlands 3 on it and it has been running fine on low settings at around 100 fps, but just recently, my  graphics card frame times have skyrocketed from around 6 ms to around 20 ms, but, my cpu frame times have been just fine. It has been a problem now because i cant even reach 60 fps. I have tried looking it up to find an answer but I couldn't find any answers. The last thing i remember doing is going into my bios to update it, but I backed out and decided not update, but I increased my system fans and cpu fans while I was in the bios. Is there anything that i can do to bring down these frame times?

Unless I'm missing something, frame time refers to the time between each delivered frame. So if your FPS is decreased, frame time will increase.

Basically, this is an FPS issue, not a frame time issue.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

Unless I'm missing something, frame time refers to the time between each delivered frame. So if your FPS is decreased, frame time will increase.

Basically, this is an FPS issue, not a frame time issue.

Thanks for the Input! I realized that you are right about that! I noticed that my frames went down, and i suspected that there is some correlation between the frame times increasing and the fps decreasing. I just looked into more of my settings and saw that my gpu is only using 8 lanes. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

40 minutes ago, Zaichi said:

Thanks for the Input! I realized that you are right about that! I noticed that my frames went down, and i suspected that there is some correlation between the frame times increasing and the fps decreasing. I just looked into more of my settings and saw that my gpu is only using 8 lanes. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

Make sure you're using the top most slot. Do you have anything else plugged into the other PCIe slots that may be triggering a weird lane allotment?

That said, make sure you're checking lane speed under load. Many boards reduce available lanes when devices are idle.

How do i check the lane speed under a load?

Nevermind. I opened my amd software while I was playing my game and I was still in 8 lanes. My gpu is also on the top slot. Is there anything else I can do?

35 minutes ago, Zaichi said:

Nevermind. I opened my amd software while I was playing my game and I was still in 8 lanes. My gpu is also on the top slot. Is there anything else I can do?

I just looked up the specifics of your board. It only supports x8 at most when you have a CPU with integrated graphics in the socket, which you do. 

That still wouldn't explain a sudden drop in performance. So let's try a few things to rule out the common stuff:

Download hwinfo: https://www.hwinfo.com/

Run it, minimize it and play something for at least 10 minutes. Take a look at the max CPU and GPU temps (the rightmost colums) and tell us what they are.

I'd also go ahead and reset your BIOS to rule out a setting that you may have inadvertently changed with the fan curves.

10 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I just looked up the specifics of your board. It only supports x8 at most when you have a CPU with integrated graphics in the socket, which you do. 

That still wouldn't explain a sudden drop in performance. So let's try a few things to rule out the common stuff:

Download hwinfo: https://www.hwinfo.com/

Run it, minimize it and play something for at least 10 minutes. Take a look at the max CPU and GPU temps (the rightmost colums) and tell us what they are.

I'd also go ahead and reset your BIOS to rule out a setting that you may have inadvertently changed with the fan curves.

How do I open up this app while I am in a game?

21 hours ago, Zaichi said:

So, I just installed this program and I am a bit confused on how to use this. The program is called "lansweeper" amd when I open it, it brings me to a page in Google chrome with my statistics, but I don't see any temperatures on gpu or CPU. Also, I don't know how to open up programs while my game is running.

23 hours ago, Zaichi said:

Since I couldnt figure out how to use the program that you recommended, I just used MSI after burner and ran a benchmark. For my GPU, I got 125 degrees fahrenheit, and for cpu, I got 110 degrees fahrenheit

On 1/15/2020 at 5:51 PM, Zaichi said:

Since I couldnt figure out how to use the program that you recommended, I just used MSI after burner and ran a benchmark. For my GPU, I got 125 degrees fahrenheit, and for cpu, I got 110 degrees fahrenheit

i also noticed when i was running my benchmark, my gpu was only running at 300 mhz.