PC freezes 5-10 minutes in

God Hand
Go to solution Solved by God Hand,

Update just in case someone stumbles upon this.

I bought a SSD and installed Windows on it. Everything works perfectly now. HDD was the problem all along.

Hi. My PC freezes 5-10 minutes after start-up. Everything will launch just fine but will hang afterwards. This happened around a month ago but I fixed it when I updated windows.

But this time it seems to be more severe. I can't open file explorer or even task manager. I can't update windows since the whole PC freezes. I'm trying to update to windows version 1909 but it's stuck at 16%. The temperatures are normal.

I had 4 beeps once. So I've tried taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in but nope. Tried using only 1 RAM stick in the slot but still the problem persists. I attempted to go into safe mode but whenever I tried that, the screen turns black and PC shuts down. 

Another thing which might help to figure out the problem. When the freeze/lag happens I can still use browser as long as I don't minimize it. So might it be the windows itself is at fault here? 

Spec:

Windows 10

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4

Hyperx Predator DDR4 3200MHz 8GB x2

Psu: Seasoning S12G Gold 550W

That sounds like the CPU is overheating, but you'd normally expect the system to spontaneously shutdown and power-off to prevent damage. It can also be the RAM if it's fairly consistent (eg 5 minutes after Windows loads, BSOD.) You would want to swap those parts out with known good ones to test that, or you could try memtest86 on it.

12 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That sounds like the CPU is overheating, but you'd normally expect the system to spontaneously shutdown and power-off to prevent damage. It can also be the RAM if it's fairly consistent (eg 5 minutes after Windows loads, BSOD.) You would want to swap those parts out with known good ones to test that, or you could try memtest86 on it.

CPU runs at normal temp around 41-45c. Ram might be the cause but PC still freezes when i use one stick at a time to test it out. No way both ram sticks are faulty. But I'll try running memtest86 later.

Have you replaced any parts in this system? Is this a new build? Any windows updates on the current build recently?

18 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Have you replaced any parts in this system? Is this a new build? Any windows updates on the current build recently?

Pretty new build. It's been running fine for the past 10 months. Haven't replaced any parts or installed any new programs. Atm trying to update to Windows version 1909 but it's stuck at 16% because PC freezes.

25 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Try to downgrade.

Sadly I don't have any parts lying around. And I don't have enough money to buy parts just to find out what's wrong.

52 minutes ago, God Hand said:

Pretty new build. It's been running fine for the past 10 months. Haven't replaced any parts or installed any new programs. Atm trying to update to Windows version 1909 but it's stuck at 16% because PC freezes.

It should auto-rollback if it fails enough times, but if it's locking up during that, that's not good, 

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

It should auto-rollback if it fails enough times, but if it's locking up during that, that's not good, 

Yeah. Still trying to figure out why booting in safe mode causes a black screen and then shuts down the PC.

I ran memtest86 but there was no error. I tried system restore but it failed. I attached the screenshot below.

I'm running out of options on what to do. Maybe I'll reinstall Windows. I don't know what else to do.

IMG_20200113_134006~2.jpg

Update just in case someone stumbles upon this.

I bought a SSD and installed Windows on it. Everything works perfectly now. HDD was the problem all along.