M-Flash Not Detecting Bios - MSI MAG z390 Tomahawk

averagebilly
Go to solution Solved by Metallus97,
4 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

I think that I have a corrupt bios because of messed up scaling in the bios and boot screen about half the time, and because every once in a while, my computer just crashes. My bios says that I'm running version E7B18IMS.150. None of the bios versions from MSI's website work. Even though I have my USB formatted to FAT32, I've extracted the bios, tried not extracting, tried putting it in a folder, out of a folder, my MB won't detect any of them. I've tried different USB ports, a different USB, nothing will get it to detect the updated bios. What's weirder is that it will detect a folder called "System Volume Information" that isn't actually on the USB, and there are some folders inside of it that have weird directory names about password recovery (not there on the other USB I tried). Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

System volume... is there, but hidden in Windows.

Its the stick formatted with a MBR partition map? Try wiping the stick completely with EaseUS partition master. Recreate its MBR and create a new Fat32.

Besides that: Doesn't MSI offer some bios updating app for Windows to do it directly form win?

I think that I have a corrupt bios because of messed up scaling in the bios and boot screen about half the time, and because every once in a while, my computer just crashes. My bios says that I'm running version E7B18IMS.150. None of the bios versions from MSI's website work. Even though I have my USB formatted to FAT32, I've extracted the bios, tried not extracting, tried putting it in a folder, out of a folder, my MB won't detect any of them. I've tried different USB ports, a different USB, nothing will get it to detect the updated bios. What's weirder is that it will detect a folder called "System Volume Information" that isn't actually on the USB, and there are some folders inside of it that have weird directory names about password recovery (not there on the other USB I tried). Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

4 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

System volume... is there, but hidden in Windows.

Its the stick formatted with a MBR partition map? Try wiping the stick completely with EaseUS partition master. Recreate its MBR and create a new Fat32.

Besides that: Doesn't MSI offer some bios updating app for Windows to do it directly form win?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

Its the stick formatted with a MBR petition map? try wiping the stick completely.

I don't think it is, but my other USB doesn't have it show up, so that's not the problem.

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

I wan't aware of one, what's it called?

1 minute ago, averagebilly said:

I wan't aware of one, what's it called?

Uhm MSi live update or something like that.

Download here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-Z390-TOMAHAWK#down-driver&Win10 64

its packaged in this dragon center crap :D

8 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Uhm MSi live update or something like that.

Download here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-Z390-TOMAHAWK#down-driver&Win10 64

its packaged in this dragon center crap :D

Well, it seems to have worked, thanks. Here’s a picture of the scaling issues I was talking about:

D0A10ABB-105B-4FE4-9F33-238C148B599E.jpeg

nice! That scaling crap can happen while in bios and updating. Maybe the update fixes it.

Report back when done ;)