Did my GPU just die? Fanless gpu not giving signal to monitor

AlwaysTired
Go to solution Solved by CharlesM2020,

Greetings @GoogleAssistantIsAVirus,

I have had experience with HDMI ports in televisions dying, it is a known issue with old TV's. I wonder if changing the adapter to a heavier one put enough stress on the HDMI port for it to fail. Are you able to try using a DVI->VGA adapter instead of a HDMI->VGA adapter to see if you can get signal off the DVI connector?

How it started:

Bought new hard drive and new Vga>Hdmi adapter (old one broke), installed hdd, started pc normally, it wasnt showing up in explorer so I restarted, checked bios, it was there, realized I had to set it up in partition manager first, discarded changes in bios and exited >>> poof signal from gpu gone, cant see shit. This happened while the. Pc case was closed so nothing touched

What ive done so far:

- Gpu removed, monitor connected direct to mobo w/o adaptor = everything runs fine

- gpu in, monitor still connected to mobo = no signal

- gpu in, monitor to gpu with adapter = no signal

- gpu in, removed new hard drive (in case psu cant handle load), still no signal

- gpu removed, removed new hard drive = got signal

What i think:

- gpu just died then and there, with no warnings. Really had no issues before though

- New vga>hdmi adapter is broken (though it worked well before the poof) 

Additional info:

-gpu was bought 12/29/2017, its a fanless gt1030

-pc only has 2 fans one for the cpu and the other for vent, but room is air cooled

So, what do you guys think? 

Additionally, is there any way to check if a gpu is dead if it doesnt have a fan? 

Sorry about the messy text, i have a serious headache right now so i cant really write properly. Hopwfully added all info needed for you guys to help me out. 

IMG_20200109_013936.jpg

IMG_20200109_013915.jpg

Edited by GoogleAssistantIsAVirus
Added images

Greetings @GoogleAssistantIsAVirus,

I have had experience with HDMI ports in televisions dying, it is a known issue with old TV's. I wonder if changing the adapter to a heavier one put enough stress on the HDMI port for it to fail. Are you able to try using a DVI->VGA adapter instead of a HDMI->VGA adapter to see if you can get signal off the DVI connector?

Itll take a week for it to get here, but its worth a try. Brb, i guess

this can happen if you have on board video and messed up bios for primary display. 

or you may have messed up bios settings, for example wrong overclocking can cause no display.

reset the settings using cmos jumper on your mobo.

plug into on board video and see if you have signal there.

if you do go back into the bios and switch the video back to the external gpu .

reboot and confirms working through the gpu card now

I tried it (though via battery not jumper method). First go after resetting cmos worked. I was getting a signal through the gpu. I managed to check sysinfo and see that it was detected but after the next cold restart, the issue was back. 

Besides that, I didn't see any option in my bios where I could switch primary displays so the only thing i've done is reset bios settings after cmos reset.

Tried doing it again, but it hasnt worked again. 

Update

New converter came. Looks like @CharlesM2020 was right about the HDMI port being broken. So far I'm having no issues after using the DVI out, but I'll update again if that changes (or use it as an excuse to upgrade).

Thanks for the help.