Moving my mini-itx setup in a rackmount case, bad idea?

silverf0x

Setup

Case: Thermaltake Core V1

MB: ROG Strix H370-I GAMING

CPU: 8700k running at 4.3GHZ

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black ed. Gaming

Storage: 1 x m.2 on board, 1 x SSD, 1 x 3.5

The primary purpose of this machine is Gaming.

I'm thinking about consolidating all my Hardware (network, QNAP, UPS, this box) into a 24U server rack and was wondering if I could move the content of that box in a rackmount chassis (2, 3, 4U ?)

I don't mind using a riser for the GPU but my main concern is, since I want to keep the hardware as-is, I need almost 6in of clearance to keep my Noctua cooler.

Maybe I could use a 1U, 2U without a top? I guess that wouldn't be good for airflow tho..

Would you recommend / not recommend moving the content into a rackmount chassis?

And if so, what chassis brand/model would you recommend? (I'm in Canada)

Do you mean transferring the internals of your mitt system TO a rack mount case which you would then put IN a rack mount system?

moving  in implies you want to pick up the case and move it to another location.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yes I mean moving the internals (MB+CPU+GPU, SSD, HDD, etc..) into a rackmount chassis
Then installing that chassis into a 24U rack

I think an easier way to go about it would to just get a 1U rack shelf (like this) and place your computer in the rack with everything else. 

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, silverf0x said:

Yes I mean moving the internals (MB+CPU+GPU, SSD, HDD, etc..) into a rackmount chassis
Then installing that chassis into a 24U rack

The issue with consumer equipment in rack mount cases is generally height and cooling. The standard for home computer cases is around 4u.  4u generally provides between 140-150mm of height.  2U will be around half that.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

I think an easier way to go about it would to just get a 1U rack shelf (like this) and place your computer in the rack with everything else. 

This is my "plan-B" if I cannot find a suitable, clean, rackmount setup.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The issue with consumer equipment in rack mount cases is generally height and cooling. The standard for home computer cases is around 4u.  4u generally provides between 140-150mm of height.  2U will be around half that.

Yes cooling is kinda of my main concern, I'm wondering if loosing the Case's embedded 200m front fan will destroy my hardware..
Also wondering if running a 2U setup without the top would hinder airflow too much?

Just now, silverf0x said:

This is my "plan-B" if I cannot find a suitable, clean, rackmount setup.

Yes cooling is kinda of my main concern, I'm wondering if loosing the Case's embedded 200m front fan will destroy my hardware..
Also wondering if running a 2U setup without the top would hinder airflow too much?

If it’s in the middle of a rack it will effectively have a top whether the top of the case is attached or not.  A rack mount case will have its own fan system.  Your 200mm fan will not fit a rack mount system anyway.  You would need different fans.

if your primary interest is a clean look, what about @Adorable Cat’s idea combined with a front cover to hide the consumer case from view?