Connecting AIO PUMP

Go to solution Solved by BarackOBatman,
4 minutes ago, angryx said:

seems like the software i used to monitor the temps was reporting temps incorrectly, i opened ryzen master and there the cpu temp is at 25C degree constantly

Sounds like you're all set! :)

when i connect the pump to the AIO_PUMP the motherboard shows CPU_FAN warning should i connect it to the CPU_FAN header instead?

and i have a little question, what is the difference between connecting the pump to the designed AIO_PUMP header vs CPU_FAN header?

my mobo is B450 F STRIX

2 minutes ago, angryx said:

when i connect the pump to the AIO_PUMP the motherboard shows CPU_FAN warning should i connect it to the CPU_FAN header instead?

and i have a little question, what is the difference between connecting the pump to the designed AIO_PUMP header vs CPU_FAN header?

my mobo is B450 F STRIX

You can also set that header to "Ignore" in BIOS or stick a fan on it.  To do so you'll go under Monitor in BIOS to find your fans and pumps.  As far as differences -- I don't think there are any.  It's probably labeled to help folks that might not know they can use a fan header instead.  I may be wrong though.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Some motherboard AIO pump headers won't have RPM controls since AIO pumps are considered to be weak pumps, and need to be ran at full or near full speed to be effective. Also the AIO pumps I've seen only have 3 pins and are not PWM. I still set a fan curve for my AIO pump ranging from 90% to 100% RPM to try to make it last longer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 hour ago, angryx said:

The pump should be connected to the AIO_PUMP like you have it.

The radiator fan should be plugged into the CPU_FAN though. Where is the radiator fan hooked?

If you have multiple radiator fans, you can hook an additional fan to CPU_OPT or to any fan header and then customize the fan profile to match the CPU_FAN.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

22 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

The pump should be connected to the AIO_PUMP like you have it.

The radiator fan should be plugged into the CPU_FAN though. Where is the radiator fan hooked?

If you have multiple radiator fans, you can hook an additional fan to CPU_OPT or to any fan header and then customize the fan profile to match the CPU_FAN.

OK i checked the motherboard manual and it says how to connect, so i connected the PUMP to the AIO_PUMP and the fans to the CPU_FAN with 3 way splitter

now it always changing the speed everytime and it is very annoying is it supposed to be like this? my mobo is B450 F STRIX

16 minutes ago, angryx said:

OK i checked the motherboard manual and it says how to connect, so i connected the PUMP to the AIO_PUMP and the fans to the CPU_FAN with 3 way splitter

now it always changing the speed everytime and it is very annoying is it supposed to be like this? my mobo is B450 F STRIX

What do you mean by "everytime"? I'm trying to understand in what manner your fan speed is changing.

The fans should ramp up from time to time, or ramp up continuously under a load like playing a game.

I will say this sounds pretty normal.

Connecting all 3 fans using a splitter sounds iffy to me, though i'm sure itll work for the most part. Sometimes there are issues of drawing too much power through a single motherboard header, or the motherboard header not being capable of providing enough current.

It would be considered better practice to connect all fans directly to the motherboard. I'd connect one radiatior fan to CPU_FAN, one to CPU_OPT, and one to a CHA_FAN and then change the fan curve in the UEFI for the CHA_FAN. If all of your CHA_FAN headers are occupied, then I'd connect one radiatior fan to the splitter, a second fan to the splitter, then plug the splitter into CPU_FAN and then i would plug the last fan into CPU_OPT, leaving the last lead on the splitter unoccupied.

The reason connecting all fans directly to the motherboard is considered better is because the motherboard will have all 4 pin headers for PWM control. The Splitter will only have a single 4-pin header and the rest will typically be 3-pin headers.

A fan hub is another option.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

18 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

What do you mean by "everytime"? I'm trying to understand in what manner your fan speed is changing.

The fans should ramp up from time to time, or ramp up continuously under a load like playing a game.

I will say this sounds pretty normal.

Connecting all 3 fans using a splitter sounds iffy to me, though i'm sure itll work for the most part. Sometimes there are issues of drawing too much power through a single motherboard header, or the motherboard header not being capable of providing enough current.

It would be considered better practice to connect all fans directly to the motherboard. I'd connect one radiatior fan to CPU_FAN, one to CPU_OPT, and one to a CHA_FAN and then change the fan curve in the UEFI for the CHA_FAN. If all of your CHA_FAN headers are occupied, then I'd connect one radiatior fan to the splitter, a second fan to the splitter, then plug the splitter into CPU_FAN and then i would plug the last fan into CPU_OPT, leaving the last lead on the splitter unoccupied.

The reason connecting all fans directly to the motherboard is considered better is because the motherboard will have all 4 pin headers for PWM control. The Splitter will only have a single 4-pin header and the rest will typically be 3-pin headers.

A fan hub is another option.

the fans speed up when using chrome, cpu temp is mooving between 25C~40C degrees when browsing chrome is that normal? 

6 minutes ago, angryx said:

the fans speed up when using chrome, cpu temp is mooving between 25C~40C degrees when browsing chrome is that normal? 

For just chrome, I'm not 100% certain but 40C sounds high to me assuming you are using a 360mm x 120mm class radiator.

Could you try running a game and paying attention to the temperature?

This could potentially be poor contact between the liquid cooler's coldplate and the CPU heatspreader. You may need to remount it.

20 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

For just chrome, I'm not 100% certain but 40C sounds high to me assuming you are using a 360mm x 120mm class radiator.

Could you try running a game and paying attention to the temperature?

This could potentially be poor contact between the liquid cooler's coldplate and the CPU heatspreader. You may need to remount it.

seems like the software i used to monitor the temps was reporting temps incorrectly, i opened ryzen master and there the cpu temp is at 25C degree constantly

4 minutes ago, angryx said:

Sounds like you're all set! :)