Need help updating bios

MuchSweggles
Go to solution Solved by redteam4ever,

For starters, you didn't specify your motherboard model, which is the most important specification. Luckily, in your earlier post, you indicated that you have a MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard. While some people might be able to help you straight away, either because they build PCs for living or have a similar motherboard to yours, I cannot imagine that most of the good people here are in that situation, so they look for the manual. I did that and here is a solution for you:

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button

Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive.

Important

Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.

1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.)
  2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel.
  3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED next to the button starts flashing.
  4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously.

For more information on where to find the button and the LED, refer to the manual. If you don't understand the instructions, tag me and specify which part yo need to clarify. Good luck :)

I have a build with a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU with a XFX Radeon Rx 5700 8GB GPU. The computer was working fine but it just decided not to turn on. On the motherboard it shows an EZ Debug light for the CPU. I read that updating the bios will help. How do I update to bios with only a usb stick. Any help would be great. 

1 hour ago, MuchSweggles said:

I have a build with a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU with a XFX Radeon Rx 5700 8GB GPU. The computer was working fine but it just decided not to turn on. On the motherboard it shows an EZ Debug light for the CPU. I read that updating the bios will help. How do I update to bios with only a usb stick. Any help would be great. 

What brand and model of mobo you have?

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

For starters, you didn't specify your motherboard model, which is the most important specification. Luckily, in your earlier post, you indicated that you have a MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard. While some people might be able to help you straight away, either because they build PCs for living or have a similar motherboard to yours, I cannot imagine that most of the good people here are in that situation, so they look for the manual. I did that and here is a solution for you:

Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive.

Important

Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.

1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.)
  2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel.
  3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED next to the button starts flashing.
  4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously.

For more information on where to find the button and the LED, refer to the manual. If you don't understand the instructions, tag me and specify which part yo need to clarify. Good luck :)

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

2 hours ago, redteam4ever said:

Important

Do I have to disconnect the other power sources that are already plugged into my mother board?

10 minutes ago, MuchSweggles said:

Do I have to disconnect the other power sources that are already plugged into my mother board?

No, you can leave everything connected.

Strictly speaking, CPU power and ATX power are the only power input connectors on a motherboard, but I think you meant to say if you can leave other components connected to the motherboard, so this is an answer to that.

My heart belongs to AMD but that doesn't mean I furiously hate Intel or NVIDIA :)

MAIN RIG AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac | MSI HD7950 OC 3GB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 2666MHz (Samsung D-Die) | ADATA SX8200 480GB NVMe SSD & Seagate Barracuda 120 1TB SSD & WD Black 500GB | Sharkoon QB One

LAPTOP Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 (14ARE05) - AMD Ryzen 5 4500U | AMD Vega 8 (Renoir) | 16GB RAM | SKHynix PC601 512GB (OEM) | 1080p 300nit non-touch display

3 minutes ago, redteam4ever said:

No, you can leave everything connected.

Strictly speaking, CPU power and ATX power are the only power input connectors on a motherboard, but I think you meant to say if you can leave other components connected to the motherboard, so this is an answer to that.

Okay. Will try that now. I downloaded the latest update to the usb and will look for the flash bios light.

Is there a reason why my computer would stop working after working fine for a couple of weeks?

2 hours ago, redteam4ever said:

Important

This worked thank you for helping!

I'm surprised that a BIOS update helped with a non-booting system (that worked before) but at the same time glad that I helped you with it :)