Updated BIOS, now have an older one?

Aaralli

I have an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard. The other day, I updated the BIOS to the latest one for this board listed on the MSI website. While in the BIOS today, I noticed that the BIOS version seems to have reverted to a really old one, maybe even earlier than the one that came stock on the board when I bought it. That version is "e7b85ams.1b0". How could this have happened? And do I need to update the BIOS again to get back to the new version?

What was the previous version? Going by their website, this seems to be the latest one.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

7B85v1B --> e7b85ams.1b0

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Aaralli said:

I don't remember the version it was on when I got the board. What do I do?

Nothing. That is the latest version.

If you download the 7B85v1B.zip from their website you'll notice that the ZIP contains a E7B85AMS.1B0 file. They are one and the same version.

Your BIOS is on the latest version. It did not downgrade. Nothing to worry about.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

36 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Nothing. That is the latest version.

If you download the 7B85v1B.zip from their website you'll notice that the ZIP contains a E7B85AMS.1B0 file. They are one and the same version.

But why does it look different? When I first installed this new version, it was red and black and had the same layout as before. Now, it's all grayscale and has a different layout; every tab it at the top. I'm uploading two images that look just like the BIOS's I'm describing. 

bbizg75r0m831.jpg

8075_50_ultimate-msi-z270-gaming-m7-motherboard-build-guide.png

19 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

But why does it look different? When I first installed this new version, it was red and black and had the same layout as before. Now, it's all grayscale and has a different layout; every tab it at the top. I'm uploading two images that look just like the BIOS's I'm describing.

From what I've been able to find, the UI requires too much space that is needed for the microcode updates instead. So the newer BIOS versions essentially had to sacrifice the fancy UI in favor of AGESA updates: https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/eizdpg/msi_b450m_mortar_mobo_updated_my_bios_today_and/

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

From what I've been able to find, the UI requires too much space that is needed for the microcode updates instead. So the newer BIOS versions essentially had to sacrifice the fancy UI in favor of AGESA updates: https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/eizdpg/msi_b450m_mortar_mobo_updated_my_bios_today_and/

I see. Thanks for finding that link. That's the most definitive answer I could've possibly gotten, I think.