Keyboard Issues

vilianbb

Ok so, I'm known for being a dumb guy in where I live. People use to avoid me cause of my stupidity. Yet here I am - a nerd enthusiast who loves his tech more than he loves anything else in the world (except for cats).

Never would I have thought that I would cause damage to my keyboard, it hurts my soul

Ok so here is what happened: Just like any other day of the week I was cleaning my keyboard. Keycaps removed, cotton with alcohol in hand and I went to business. However, when the time came to dry the keycaps I made the worst mistake of my life. *Hairdryer* I thought... I'm not some freaking beta-human being, I will do this my way.

Wanna guess what happened 20 seconds after? I immediately noticed the keycaps were starting to warp. HOLY $HIT. What am I doing??? The situation was grave, some keycaps had warped and refused to back into the keyboard switches.

Well, f***. What in bloody hell do I do now? My thundering heart the only sound I could hear, as the plagued thoughts of what I had done started to sink in. Drastic measures had to be taken...They just had to.

I took the hairdryer again, with confidence this time. I aimed the creation of the devil towards the keycap and started to heat it up. After 10 or so seconds, I noticed the warping again. I swiftly threw the hairdryer into oblivion and grabbed the keycap with my bare hands. Make no mistake. That shit hurts. While my fingers were getting fried, but I somehow managed to somewhat recover the original form of the keycap, but they would never be the same again.

Fast forward 1 day - I still want to kms, so that hasn't changed. What has changed, however, is the fact that on one of my cherry mx switches has gone mad.

The switch in question is (1) * as in the actual key. So, here is my current disaster: Every time I press (1) it registers like normal, however, if I start pressing it over and over again for some time (I'm gonna do a test here so you can see);11111111111111111111111111. Ok so after this many presses, the key just goes haywire and refuses to register for some time before recovering back to its original state of protest of its abuse.

My suspect is water damage, as I'm not sure if all of the keycaps were 100% dried out when I put them back on.

Do you think rice can help?

I still have the keyboard warranty, so that is a factor I can use to my advantage as well.

Still, I want to hear from you guys - Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Keyboard warranty rarely applies when there's water damage. What kind of keyboard is this exactly? It could be happening because of that disfigured keycap. Does the switch work properly without the keycap? If it is, just get replacement keycap, or even better a full set. There are a lot of cheap options that are still good quality.

Truly the keycap is warped, but even if removed and pressed firmly down by my finger alone, It just does what I described above.
The keyboard model is HyperX Alloy FPS PRO.

7 minutes ago, vilianbb said:

Truly the keycap is warped, but even if removed and pressed firmly down by my finger alone, It just does what I described above.
The keyboard model is HyperX Alloy FPS PRO.

Try your luck with warranty then. You could disassemble it and put in some rice or something, but that would surely void the warranty. Maybe you used that hairdryer of yours on the keyboard itself? There's also an option of changing a switch itself, which is fairly easy, but requires a soldering iron and some time.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

I did not use the hairdryer on the keyboard itself. As for your suggestion of replacing the switch, I have a soldering iron, solder, flux and everything that may be required.
But I wanna see if the guys over at the warranty service could just do it for me. Maybe even replace some of the damaged keycaps in the process.

1 minute ago, vilianbb said:

Maybe even replace some of the damaged keycaps in the process.

If you're very lucky, they could, trying won't hurt.