Issues with new Ryzen system and NVME SSD

Zilacon

Hello, longtime viewer of linus but newly member here. Not sure if this is the right place to ask for support.

So I run some minecraft servers, have been for a long time on the following system:
AMD FX 8350
32GB DDR3 1600mhz Patriot RAM
ASUS M5a99x Motherboard
4x WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD's in Raid 0 using the motherboards raid controller
Linux Centos 6.10 using kernel 2.6.32

This system has been in 24/7 use for the last 7 years straight. No issues with it, loads everything quickly, servers dont lag, but the cpu is lacking in performance and its running on hard drives...
So i built a new server with the following specs:
AMD Ryzen 2700
64GB DDR4 3200MHZ Ballistix RAM
MSI X570-A Pro Motherboard
Samsung 970 EVO m.2 NVME 1TB SSD
Linux CentOS 8 using Kernel 5.4.7

Now onto my problem:
The minecraft servers are locked at 300-600kbps write speeds, this is in full world pregen load. Will not go past this.
When doing a backup of a server folder using 7z, tar, zip, w/e. Its stuck at a pathetic 3.4MBps write.
When logging into the server and trying to flying around the world the client freezes/locks up every new area you try to load up.
Despite it being pregenerated already the client is constantly freezing, but the server seems under very little to no load.
When the client is locked up from loading a few chunks the servers showing 20 TPS and low CPU usage.
This is repeatable on ANY minecraft version OR software from 1.5.2 to 1.15 modded and vanilla.

Things ive tried:
Changing virtually every option or setting in the server itself, spent literal days trying to find a cause to this. Came to the conclusion its not the plugins, mods, server, or settings.
Ive updated the linux kernel to 5.4.7 using elrepo. No change.
Ive updated the BIOS to the latest version, no change.
Ive booted up a different distro (ubuntu), no change.

So then i plugged in a Samsung 960 EVO SATA SSD, and transferred a server folder over to it. 1.4GBps transfer speed. Well thats a lot better right?
Lets try compressing that same folder now... 3.4MBps, same speed on the NVME.
Starting the server on the SATA SSD is like reversing the issues from the NVME.
Now the server cant handle loading any chunks to keep up with the player, uses up to 400% cpu and TPS drops down to 2 when it never used cpu and tps was always at 20.
And now when exploring the world, be it loading 1 chunk at a time in a line in front of me, my client never freezes. Even when going to non generated worlds.
So the write speeds are still an issue on a completely different drive, and by changing the drives for the server, it has different problems.

My old server can generate over 2000 chunks per second.
On the same MC server on the new dedicated server it can barely hit 200 chunks per second. And if a player is online it can barely hit 10.
How is a 7 year old system with a FX cpu and hard drives out performing a AMD Ryzen with a NVME SSD?

Does ANYONE have any ideas what the heck is going on?
Thank you to anyone that helps!

I think I heard something about PCIe cards interfering with NVME devices. What graphics you using? Any other PCIe cards?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain