Random restarts

muindor
Go to solution Solved by muindor,

Thanks for the help!! I did some more digging and I think I found the culprit.

Some part of my system does not like my memory running at 3600mhz. I believe everything is supposed to support it, so who knows why it isn't, but when I turn off my memory profile, and manually set it to 3200mhz (with the same CAS latency and all as the memory profile), it seeeems to work fine.

Running at the lower speed doesn't really bother me. I just hope this solution works long term!

My PC keeps randomly restarting, not too often, but just enough to be annoying. I can force it to restart any time if I run a CPU stress test (CPU-Z, Cinebench), but it also restarts under less CPU intensive situations like playing Overwatch (after long sessions generally). I checked thermals (my first thought), but CPU temps don't go above 85-90 decrees right before the restart. I'm running the latest BIOS and nothing is overclocked.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)

Mobo: Asus B450-F

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5

1 hour ago, muindor said:

My PC keeps randomly restarting, not too often, but just enough to be annoying. I can force it to restart any time if I run a CPU stress test (CPU-Z, Cinebench), but it also restarts under less CPU intensive situations like playing Overwatch (after long sessions generally). I checked thermals (my first thought), but CPU temps don't go above 85-90 decrees right before the restart. I'm running the latest BIOS and nothing is overclocked.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)

Mobo: Asus B450-F

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5

I know you said your pc doesn't get too hot right before the random restart but what about a couple minutes before it. Do you ever get to hot at all? 

Also could be your power supply. Next thing would be my power supply. Might be faulty. You could use a temporary, backup or some power supply in general in replacement of your current one to see if that is the culprit and if the problem still persists it isn't your power supply. Typically I would do this with every pc component until I find what it is. Maybe checking the inside of that power supply and seeing if anything is fried would be good but I don't know why that would happen. That is a very good psu. 

Next I would also check my gpu, look if it's fried at all for any reason. And just for good measure use a mock gpu in replacement like your igpu and take off your current one and if the problem still persists it isn't your gpu. Basically I would just do this for all my major components until I find what the problem is. The problem about these random restart problems is that it could be anything. From what I know, usually its the GPU or PSU if your thermals are fine.

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro

Thanks for the help!! I did some more digging and I think I found the culprit.

Some part of my system does not like my memory running at 3600mhz. I believe everything is supposed to support it, so who knows why it isn't, but when I turn off my memory profile, and manually set it to 3200mhz (with the same CAS latency and all as the memory profile), it seeeems to work fine.

Running at the lower speed doesn't really bother me. I just hope this solution works long term!