No Display and Peripherals working on startup.

n_exit

Hey LTT-Community,

After returning from holidays my pc had some issues during "first" start.

Pressed power, lights on ram, mainboard, gpu and aio watercooler lit up and than turned off immediately. After this short 2 sec, my pc rebooted again with no display singal (DP and HDMI (TV)) and no peripherals lit up / worked as well.  Tried everything and even shutting off and restarting it didnt fixed it. 

I want your opinion on this problem, cause my suggestion is that either mainboard or cpu is dead. But i am not really shure about it even when I found this in the mainboard manual:

(look files applied)

You can see the CPU-LED to the right of my ram.

My current (relevant) components

MSI Z270 Gaming M7 So. 1151

Intel i7 7700k @ 4.5 GhZ

M2 970 evo

This PC is currently 2.5 years old and no problems before.

It looks that my cpu does not work. How can i be sure if the mainboard isnt dead too? What is your opinion to this problem? 

Thanks for help,

Nexit

guide.PNG

led.png

PC.png

EDIT: Even the number at the top which should display error or CPU temperature displays 00. In the manual it says, that it starts showing temperature when fully startet the OS here windows.

first just try reseating the cpu and a bios reset

more than likely tif something failed it would be the board and not the cpu itself.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

first just try reseating the cpu and a bios reset

more than likely tif something failed it would be the board and not the cpu itself.

Thanks, so your saying that cpu could still work and the issue is on the mainboard. But now it gets a bit frustrating if i buy a new mainboard with socket 1151 and than realizing that the cpu is dead too. Buying ryzen + mainboard with am4 socket would be better than. :D

Repositioning the cpu could fix it maybe. But if thats not helping i am still confused whats not working ( mainboard or CPU)

1 minute ago, n_exit said:

But if thats not helping i am still confused whats not working ( mainboard or CPU)

well give it a shot at least. I also suggested a bios reset as the firmware may have just had a blonde moment.

the reason the cpu is more likely ok is because very rarely do cpu's themselves actually go bad simply due to the standard at which they are manufactured. It's very common for even 30-40 year old machines to be non functional but have 100% functional cpu's. And thats consistent with almost every era of cpu.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

well give it a shot at least. I also suggested a bios reset as the firmware may have just had a blonde moment.

the reason the cpu is more likely ok is because very rarely do cpu's themselves actually go bad simply due to the standard at which they are manufactured. It's very common for even 30-40 year old machines to be non functional but have 100% functional cpu's. And thats consistent with almost every era of cpu.

Okay tomorrow I will try to reposition the cpu. Thanks for your help. 

If anyone has another idea pls be willing to participate here :P I am still open for new opinions.

1 minute ago, n_exit said:

If anyone has another idea pls be willing to participate here :P I am still open for new opinions.

well in all honesty with the machine having a hardware fault with a cpu error light on. you basically can only reseat the cpu or reset the bios.

you can try just wiggling the water block on the cpu  as well but basically without a working cpu every software based fix will be inaccessible.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

well in all honesty with the machine having a hardware fault with a cpu error light on. you basically can only reseat the cpu or reset the bios.

you can try just wiggling the water block on the cpu  as well but basically without a working cpu every software based fix will be inaccessible.

Okay thats true... Yeah this should be my only options to go. Thanks :)

12 hours ago, emosun said:

Hey, I reseted the BIOS and now everything should be working. I entered BIOS with display singal and peripherals working fine. Changed everything how it used to be. But upon windows start it crashes with error message something like: Cant find boot device. My M2 SSD is detected in the bios and my boot order seems to be fine too. Is there something important to check in Bios i forgott?

11 hours ago, n_exit said:

My M2 SSD is detected in the bios and my boot order seems to be fine too.

I don't really use m.2 for anything but if it's similar to other drives you can insert a windows 10 boot disk and see if windows 10 discovers the m.2 ssd in the setup to make sure that it is still technically working and not dead.