RAM Upgrade + Compatibility Question.

Go to solution Solved by Mbowen,
1 minute ago, Zacory said:

Last question, seems I might as well ask. I know the sockets are compatible but would the  i7-9700KF be compatible for a CPU upgrade? 

While they do have the same socket name (LGA1151) the sockets pins do different things. So while the short answer is NO. It's not compatible, (look at a 6700k or 7700k *with bios upgrade). 

The technical answer is, you can mod the bios if you're a crazy bastard and make it work. But it's insane and the time it would take would be just worth buying a different compatible board. 

Hello,

So I have the Gigabyte H110MS2H motherboard, nothing spectacular, i know.

I was looking to upgrade my RAM count, upon researching it appears that my mother board should be compatible. However, I would just like to confirm this with a couple of tech people like yourselves.

The ram i was looking to upgrade so was this(my local supplier) and if this is a viable ram, i'll of course look for it cheaper elsewhere.: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/computer-memory/corsair-vengeance-lpx-ddr4-2400-mhz-pc-ram-8-gb-x-2-10143144-pdt.html

Thanks,

That will work just fine. Don't forget though that you need to set the speed to 2400 MHz manually in most cases. I believe H110 still has that ability. 

1 minute ago, Mbowen said:

That will work just fine. Don't forget though that you need to set the speed to 2400 MHz manually in most cases. I believe H110 still has that ability. 

I'd assume I'd do this in the BIOS? I know a decent bit about computers but just need a little assurance before going ahead with a new brand of RAM. 

Thank you very much!

I'd assume I'd do this in the BIOS? I know a decent bit about computers but just need a little assurance before going ahead with a new brand of RAM. 

No problem! It's always good to know everything before spending lots of money. And yes, it would be an option in the bios. Look for an XMP option. :)

1 minute ago, Mbowen said:

No problem! It's always good to know everything before spending lots of money. And yes, it would be an option in the bios. Look for an XMP option. :)

Last question, seems I might as well ask. I know the sockets are compatible but would the  i7-9700KF be compatible for a CPU upgrade? 

Just now, Zacory said:

Nope 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H110M-S2H-rev-10/sp#sp

6th and 7th only for that mobo

I edit my posts more often than not

While they do have the same socket name (LGA1151) the sockets pins do different things. So while the short answer is NO. It's not compatible, (look at a 6700k or 7700k *with bios upgrade). 

The technical answer is, you can mod the bios if you're a crazy bastard and make it work. But it's insane and the time it would take would be just worth buying a different compatible board.