Lim voltage in msi afterburner. Low gpu usage. Low fps in games. GTX 1070

Shyro

Hi!

So I play rust and this lim voltage poped up. What does it mean? I think it might cause low gpu usage thus low fps. This happens in many games I play. Thanks in advance.

PC specs:

GPU: GTX 1070 asus rog strix oc

CPU: i7 4770

RAM: 16gb ddr3 1600mhz

PSU: 400w (and that's about it)

MOBO: hp model 1905

SSD: samsung evo 860 250gb

HD: 1tb toshiba

image.png.85f68cefa18d00a35c6cdbd3e91656df.png

I tried bumping up the settings a lil bit and got my gpu to 98-99% usage. But then closed the game and opened it again later my gpu usage was less then 70% mostly staying at 40-50%.

image.png.fcd1a0947749dd3c05b1f62ead4ea7bf.png

38 minutes ago, Shyro said:

Hi!

So I play rust and this lim voltage poped up. What does it mean? I think it might cause low gpu usage thus low fps. This happens in many games I play. Thanks in advance.

PC specs:

GPU: GTX 1070 asus rog strix oc

CPU: i7 4770

RAM: 16gb ddr3 1600mhz

PSU: 400w (and that's about it)

MOBO: hp model 1905

SSD: samsung evo 860 250gb

HD: 1tb toshiba

image.png.85f68cefa18d00a35c6cdbd3e91656df.png

I tried bumping up the settings a lil bit and got my gpu to 98-99% usage. But then closed the game and opened it again later my gpu usage was less then 70% mostly staying at 40-50%.

image.png.fcd1a0947749dd3c05b1f62ead4ea7bf.png

Do you have "enable unified gpu monitoring" checked? Why im asking? Well because you have the same core clock and vastly different GPU utilization which tells me it is incorrectly reading the utilization from GPUs that can boost in a matter of microseconds. When using newer cards[that can boost] you should always enable that option.

6 hours ago, RainingTacco said:

Do you have "enable unified gpu monitoring" checked? Why im asking? Well because you have the same core clock and vastly different GPU utilization which tells me it is incorrectly reading the utilization from GPUs that can boost in a matter of microseconds. When using newer cards[that can boost] you should always enable that option.

The reason you cant bump your voltage up is because you are using a puny 400w power supply. For a gtx 1070 system you need at least a 500w psu. You GPU is being undervolted because not enough power is being delivered to it.

10 hours ago, RainingTacco said:

It is only for AMD can't check it.

4 hours ago, biggieweeb said:

The reason you cant bump your voltage up is because you are using a puny 400w power supply. For a gtx 1070 system you need at least a 500w psu. You GPU is being undervolted because not enough power is being delivered to it.

But my GPU goes up to 99% usage in benchmarks. Is it really the PSU?

7 hours ago, Shyro said:

But my GPU goes up to 99% usage in benchmarks. Is it really the PSU?

Probably as it has automatically undervolted itself and this would lower its performance. The fact that the benchmark shows 99% is irrelevant as the benchmark is using 99% of the AVAILABLE gpu performance.

Even if you think the problem is not the psu i would still recommend getting a psu upgrade, probably a 600w-750w psu. If this does not work, try getting the gpu R&D'd because the gpu may be faulty.

That is my theory on the problem.