I need a cooling solution for GPU

henelol

Okey, so I have this problem with my pc overheating and GPU thermal throttling at 95*C even when playing older titles like csgo on lowest settings.

I could possibly use the other leftover aio block but I would need to cool more than just the gpu chip. ek used to make full cover waterblocks for this gpu but I cant find them anywhere. 

So could someone link me the stuff I would need to diy a watercooling system for this gpu or find me a full block, new or used, dont care? 

Only Important Specs: 

Case: Fractal design R4

Cpu: Amd FX-8370 4.5ghz (idle temp. 45*C max temp. 70*C)

Gpu: Msi R9 390x 8gb (idle temp. 60*C max temp. 95*C)

Cooling solution for cpu: 2x DIY Modded maelstrom 120T AIO´s (other one was for old gpu)

Fans: 4 Front, 1 bottom, 2 top, 1 back. 8total

7 minutes ago, henelol said:

Okey, so I have this problem with my pc overheating and GPU thermal throttling at 95*C even when playing older titles like csgo on lowest settings.

I could possibly use the other leftover aio block but I would need to cool more than just the gpu chip. ek used to make full cover waterblocks for this gpu but I cant find them anywhere. 

So could someone link me the stuff I would need to diy a watercooling system for this gpu or find me a full block, new or used, dont care? 

Only Important Specs: 

Case: Fractal design R4

Cpu: Amd FX-8370 4.5ghz (idle temp. 45*C max temp. 70*C)

Gpu: Msi R9 390x 8gb (idle temp. 60*C max temp. 95*C)

Cooling solution for cpu: 2x DIY Modded maelstrom 120T AIO´s (other one was for old gpu)

Fans: 4 Front, 1 bottom, 2 top, 1 back. 8total

If you have spare aio it may be worth checking Nzxt Kraken G12 , it’s a bracket to mount aio on gpu. But before that did you tried changing fan curve for more aggressive? That may reduce temps significantly.  

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

I could try that, also is it worth adding copper heatsinks to all chips on board? Also I´ve tried everything from changing the fan speed to max to underclocking it 50% with no results, 15sec in game and throttling.

3 minutes ago, henelol said:

I could try that, also is it worth adding copper heatsinks to all chips on board? Also I´ve tried everything from changing the fan speed to max to underclocking it 50% with no results, 15sec in game and throttling.

What about changing thermal paste on that gpu?? It’s not the newest gpu so it may we worth trying start there. That will gave you also opportunity to check dust buildup etc, believe this may change a lot.

i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

Changed already to Noctua NT-H1 I believe, Ive done everything you`ve said so far

I have a bad habit of repeating what people say to make sure I understand what is going on.  Apologies in advance.

in which I redescribe what you are saying:
Those gpu temps are very high.
I can’t tell if you have a custom loop water system here or are using AIO water coolers. You apparently had an AIO water cooler on your old GPU which may or may not fit on your new gpu. When cooling a GPU with an AIO the VRM and memory is generally less important than the GPU chip itself and a common thing is to simply air cool them using heat sinks and a fan.

There are brackets that will hold both the AIO cooler block and a fan to the GPU which is what @Whiro seems to be talking about.

From the  sound of things you’ve got 2 120mm AIO coolers, one of which is on your CPU atm leaving one spare.

In which I talk about issues:

Given the age of your components I’m assuming money is a major factor as the most efficient use of money right now would be to get newer equipment rather than better cooling so a minimum or zero cost solution seems to be the answer.  Adding heat sinks to the main board will probably do nothing.  They will be needed for the gpu though.  Copper specifically may not be needed.

i need to know more about what the DIY modding on this spare 120mm AIO for your old GPU was.  Is a pic available?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are brackets that will hold both the AIO cooler block and a fan to the GPU which is what @Whiro seems to be talking about.

Yes sir that’s exactly what I was talking about ? Kraken G12 is one of them, I believe Corsair made one as well but not sure, will need to check it out.

4 minutes ago, henelol said:

Changed already to Noctua NT-H1 I believe, Ive done everything you`ve said so far

It sounds like you done everything what you could with that gpu, so your best option is bracket with aio, and yes adding this heatsinks to memory modules will definitely not gonna do any harm. Just before that check out what aio you have and ifs compatible with that bracket.

I’ll have a look if there is other ones cos like I mentioned before pretty sure corsair have one as well

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

5 minutes ago, Whiro said:

looks like the g12 is easyer to mod to fit my aio, ther is no way it will fit the way it is rn :D

10 minutes ago, henelol said:

5D863A6C708BB4B752C11CB1F0AB29FA54F28189

This is an old pic with old Gpu using zipties

The zip tie/separate fan option should work for the new GPU too.
I can’t see from the pic if you have heat sinks on the old GPU.

My memory is that VRM likes to be evenly cooled. the VRMs are all in a line it is common to place a single long heat sink across all of them to help maintain even temps. The GPU memory will also want heat sinks on them.  There are a lot of them and you will want a heat sink on each

6DD39545-808F-40CC-9925-574B41B657FB.thumb.jpeg.9eefc56c4d86c86d6af1c4e30a48214f.jpeg

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.