intel xeon e3-1230v3 vs 4770k

Since I am going to buy a CPU for the LGA 1150 socket, I am doing some research and people are most likely screaming at me not to buy an 4770k; I should go with the intel xeon e3-1230v3.

What is that processor ?

What  are its benefits ?

Are workstation-grade components in a consumer-grade Motherboard not somehow "dangerous ?"

Huge thx,

Hayat

Only real difference is no overclocking (I think)

And no on-board graphics

their the same thing just without the on board graphics and over clocking and the lower price point for the xeon 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Not dangerous. The Xeon uses the same chip as the 4770k except it can't oc, has a few more virtualization features, and are tested to run stable 24/7/366. The e3-1230 v3 also doesn't have an iGPU.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm using the version 2 of that processor (ivy bridge) on a consumer board and I'm having no issues what so ever.

The only difference is that the Xeon cant be OC'd, nor has it onboard graphics. 

Welcome to the Gun Show

Howdy.

I personally would go with the Xeon for my usage, but yours may differ.

The 4770K is a quad core with hyper threading, and as quite a few options enabled on the chip like VT-X which are features used in virtualisation. The chip is also over-clockable which allows for a little more future proofing.

The Xeon 1230v3 is more of a workstation and server chip, and has everything enabled BUT over-clocking, you get all VT- options and also the ability to use ECC ram for critical applications. You also have slightly lower power consumption at the loss of ~200Mhz. It also doesn't have the Intel HD graphics, so you need either need a video gard or server motherboard with a 12MB VRAM gpu for video output.

If you're multi-tasking or running virtual machines, get the Xeon, if you're just gaming I'd get the 4570K.

Some Xeon do have on-board graphics. Examples being the E3-1225 V3 (4 core/4 threads) and E3-1245 V3 (4 core/8 threads).

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Maybe you should tell us for what you need it? For gaming its still a pointless CPU, better off with a 4670k

They are exactly the same chip underneath. The only difference is that the Xeon chip has it's overclocking capabilities completely locked and unavailable, since it is a workstation processor designed for stability. The 4770K can be overclocked, but you will need a Z87 chipset motherboard to do that. The Xeon also lacks the integrated Intel graphics processors.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here