Modem and Router

Taazzyy
Hi
I am trying to upgrade my modem and router and I have run into a dilemma. Currently I am thinking about getting the netgear cm1100 modem and xr450 router. I know wifi 6 items and currently coming out and I do a lot of gaming which is why I am looking for a good setup. Those 2 items are around my budget. Do you have any other suggestions or do you think I should do those two items. Is getting wifi 6 worth it and will it help my gaming. I interested in xr450 because of the qos feature but you know more so any suggestions help.
Thank you,
Taj 

Two things you need to make sure about:

1. That your ISP supports/accepts that version of 3rd party modem.
  2. That the modem supports the DOCSIS version needed for your bandwidth plan.

As for gaming wired would be best. The newer standards of Wi-Fi increase bandwidth and some faster standards (2.4GHz vs 5GHz) improve latency but if you really want the best online gaming or streaming experience you still can't beat a wired connection.

As a rule of thumb, anything that says "gaming" is a load of BS and I try and stay away from them.

I don't know much about that router, but if you have the ability... hardwire will beat WiFi 10 times out of 10 for gaming. Latency is a bitch.

I am currently using Ubiquiti Edgerouter x, and a pair of Unifi Ap-AC Lite on either side of my house run over PoE and really liking it. 

I have 250-300 mpb/s when in the same room as them. Drop off is pretty steep though on 5Ghz. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Why are you looking to upgrade? 

Depending if you're paying a modem fee or not, you won't need to buy one. And like someone else has said, you need to know what DOCSIS version your ISP uses. You're ISP's website might have it listed, if not, call them.

You don't need a "gaming router" any router that will deliver the speed your paying for is good. You also don't need wifi 6 because just like its name, it's for wifi. You're better off using ethernet cables.

Getting expensive internet equipment won't help you in games, unless you live in a big house with 20 people.

I don't know you're internet speed but the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 should be fine