Headphone recommendation for music and gaming (Akg k701 vs Audio Technica ath-ad500x)

Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
6 hours ago, Revo128 said:

Ok, 

Would it be a good upgarde from my Alpha´s?

Do you know how good the akg 240k are becuase I can get them for pretty cheap. I'am also wondering if the Sennheiser 559 whould be a good buy...

I'm now thinking about getting something cheaper then the dt880 like the Sennheiser 559, AKG k701, k240 and then get a decent dac/amp becasue I use the onboard audio on my motherboard. Would that be better/smarter? 

(Thank you for helping me out!)

I ownt the k240 and ran me pretty good for a year until I really hoipped on this hibby they are decent but not great for gaming. the sennheiser 559 would be a better buy. . the 880 would be an upgreade definitely but if you cant afford to get a dac and an amp along with it I would say the 559 or the sennheiser 599 would be good alternatives

What semi/open-back headphones do you recommend for gaming and music, ("allround pc usage")? My budget is pretty flexible as I want the best sounding headphones for money but the limit goes around ~130$

I'm considering the Akg k701 or the Audio Technica ath-ad500x and I can get those for ~110$.  I have Hyperx Cloud Alpha and will it be an good and solid upgrade?

How does these two compare to example beyerdynamic dt 990 or 880. I can get those for around 150$?

PS. how do the Akg k204 mk2 compare as it alot cheaper and Philips SPH9500 is not available in my country so don't recommend these.

And sorry for my English =( 

EDIT: I use the onboard audio from my motherboard. My computer is an HP Omen desktop and uses Audio Codec: ALC3863-CG.

Edited by Revo128
lol I put one zero too much at 130 $

for   mixed usage IMO from what you have posted the DT 880 is the Best IMO has overall a balanced but dynamic sound. not lacking anywhere and has sharp and preceise treble which is great for highlighting footsteps. 

Ok, 

Do you know how good the akg 240k are becuase I can get them for pretty cheap. I'am also wondering if the Sennheiser 559 whould be a good buy...

I'm now thinking about getting something cheaper then the dt880 like the Sennheiser 559, AKG k701, k240 and then get a decent dac/amp becasue I use the onboard audio on my motherboard. Would that be better/smarter? 

6 hours ago, Revo128 said:

Ok, 

I ownt the k240 and ran me pretty good for a year until I really hoipped on this hibby they are decent but not great for gaming. the sennheiser 559 would be a better buy. . the 880 would be an upgreade definitely but if you cant afford to get a dac and an amp along with it I would say the 559 or the sennheiser 599 would be good alternatives

Personally I'm not a big fan of the AKG k701. They are lacking in low and midrange and have a rather severe treble spike. They also sound really bad when they don't get enough power. The Beyerdynamic are certainly good headphones and a potentially good choice, but I want to throw something more neutral into the mix:

Sennheiser HD 600. You'll have to survive the initial headband clamping force and walk around with princess Leia hair though.
The sound is pleasant and very balanced. These were my every day HiFi and PC headphones.
If you want a more warm, "fun" and coloured sound, check out the 650 or other similar Sennheisers.

Check if there is a HiFi store that you could visit, or if there is a "can meet" in your area, were you could try out the different headphones. The best thing you can do is experience them yourself.

Leaves some money for a decent DAC with an integrated headphone amplifier. The source is at least as important, if not more important, than the headphones. I'm not that up-to-date as to which devices are available, but check the HiFi sites for potential candidates - just avoid all that voodoo. Dynamic range and THD(+N) measurements are usually a good indicator about the class of quality you might be able to expect (say, 116dB dynamic range and <0.00009% THD+N vs. some allegedly "HiFi" DACs with almost single digit THD+N).

…and then there's the music I make.

1 hour ago, urbanhusky said:

Personally I'm not a big fan of the AKG k701. They are lacking in low and midrange and have a rather severe treble spike. They also sound really bad when they don't get enough power. The Beyerdynamic are certainly good headphones and a potentially good choice, but I want to throw something more neutral into the mix:

Sennheiser HD 600. You'll have to survive the initial headband clamping force and walk around with princess Leia hair though.
The sound is pleasant and very balanced. These were my every day HiFi and PC headphones.
If you want a more warm, "fun" and coloured sound, check out the 650 or other similar Sennheisers.

Check if there is a HiFi store that you could visit, or if there is a "can meet" in your area, were you could try out the different headphones. The best thing you can do is experience them yourself.

Leaves some money for a decent DAC with an integrated headphone amplifier. The source is at least as important, if not more important, than the headphones. I'm not that up-to-date as to which devices are available, but check the HiFi sites for potential candidates - just avoid all that voodoo. Dynamic range and THD(+N) measurements are usually a good indicator about the class of quality you might be able to expect (say, 116dB dynamic range and <0.00009% THD+N vs. some allegedly "HiFi" DACs with almost single digit THD+N).

I whle heartedly would never reccomend the Hd 600 or HD 650 for gaming both have very narrow soundstages for open backs and dont have really good imaging which is very important for gaming. 

I would argue that they don't have such a narrow soundstage, but my experience stems mostly from listening to music and not so much gaming (though they are my number one portable game system headphones, in quiet environments at least). They have a slightly more intimate sound, but most headphones have that. They do benefit greatly from amping though.

In pure soundstage terms, I have yet to hear any pair that comes close to the Sennheiser HD 800S (or plain HD 800), but those are a bit more ridiculous in price and have a lower quantity of bass. But that's deep within HiFi/audiophile grade territory.

3 hours ago, urbanhusky said:

I would argue that they don't have such a narrow soundstage, but my experience stems mostly from listening to music and not so much gaming (though they are my number one portable game system headphones, in quiet environments at least). They have a slightly more intimate sound, but most headphones have that. They do benefit greatly from amping though.

In pure soundstage terms, I have yet to hear any pair that comes close to the Sennheiser HD 800S (or plain HD 800), but those are a bit more ridiculous in price and have a lower quantity of bass. But that's deep within HiFi/audiophile grade territory.

Yes but I try a lot of headphones arou d the price range and same price. And while wider than a closed back definitely more intimate than the likes of the dt 880, hd 58x , dt 990 dragonfly Nighthawks , dt 770 and many more open backs. Imaging which is more important is also kind of weak on them.

26 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Yes but I try a lot of headphones arou d the price range and same price. And while wider than a closed back definitely more intimate than the likes of the dt 880, hd 58x , dt 990 dragonfly Nighthawks , dt 770 and many more open backs. Imaging which is more important is also kind of weak on them.

Okay, I never compared imaging with the dt xx0 series, I prefered the HD 600's neutral sound over those cans - but if they offer better imaging, one could definitely pick worse headphones. They are solid options and a lot of it is down to personal preference :)