Two Internet connections Network setup

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advise with regards to updating my network. Currently I have VDSL internet connection (roughly 25mbps down, 2mbps up) which goes through to VDSL modem which then relays that (through a wired connection) onto an Apple Time Capsule (5th gen) in the center of the bottom floor of my house. The time capsule connects via PPPoE and then does the DHCP management and then this is repeated wirelessly by 3 further devices. Another time capsule (5th gen) upstairs which all my computers in my study are connected to, an Apple airport expresses (2nd gen) in my living room which all my TV stuff (HTPC, xBox, TV etc etc) connects to and finally another airport express that gives wifi to the garden and my garage. This setup works very well. I don't really have any complaints about it. Devices are reliable, connections are smooth and fast with good range, I can manage it all over the airport app on my phone, and even though the devices aren't true MESH devices they do seem to work like one. I can move from one side of the house to another with no loss of connection on whatever device I'm using and it seems to change between 3 or more devices with no issue. The problem I have is I want to increase my internet speed. The only option I have is to add a 4G/5G modem to give me a extra speed and combine that with my existing VDSL connection. The 4G/5G connection will likely be 60-80mbs Up and 10-20mbps down. The question I have can someone recommend a good load sharing or bonding router to combine these two connections, and will such as device be compatible with my existing setup? By that I mean can I plug it into the apple time capsule in the center of my house and keep that time capsule doing the HDCP stuff without causing any NAT or IP duplication errors etc? If not can someone recommend access points and or additional routers that I can use to replace the apple ones I currently have that will work with a load sharing or bonding router? I am currently renovating my house which involves new electrical wiring so hard wiring these devices would not be an issue as I can simply put CAT 6 cable and RJ45 plugs in the walls when I am changing the electrical plugs (something I have done before). I am happy to if needed (but would rather not if can be avoided) replace everything I currently have with new hardware. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Apologies I should have been a bit clearer. You can bond two internet connections to make one faster internet connection, but you are quite right they have to be identical or very close in speeds up and down from the same ISP because like you said the packets are split. I will actually be using the same ISP for VDSL and 4G/5G, but I am not sure if bonding is possible even with the same ISP via two different method? So I think to play it safe I should stick with a load sharing router, which would be fine as either connection on there own are fast enough, it is when two or more people want to use it is when I have issues on my current setup.

Do you want faster speeds for a single tcp stream, or for multiple devices? If its for a single stream you need a bonding system, like a vpn that supports bonding, or a sd wan solution.

If you want dual wan for multiple devices, there are lots of routers that support this like pfsense, untangle, sonicwall boxes, fortinet boxes.

For access points, id probably go unifi here if you can, good and fairly cheap.

Thanks electronics Wizardy. It would be more for multiple devices/users, so I think i'll so with a something that manages dual WAN connections instead of combining them. The unifi access points seam to be coming up a lot when I'm researching it. I have two questions about them are they PoE and do they support MESH?

9 minutes ago, Anteas99 said:

Thanks electronics Wizardy. It would be more for multiple devices/users, so I think i'll so with a something that manages dual WAN connections instead of combining them. The unifi access points seam to be coming up a lot when I'm researching it. I have two questions about them are they PoE and do they support MESH?

unifi supports poe.

They can use mesh to connect, but if your powering with poe, no reason to use mesh, use ethernet if you can.

• 2 weeks later...