my computer is haunted? - turns on by itself in the middle of the night...

Ashleyyyy

ok so my computer has a really weird problem. it turns on in the middle of the night, and stays on.

like, i put it into hibernation mode when i went to bed, woke up about 30 minutes ago and it was powered on. 

this only happens if i put it into hibernation mode, if i fully shut it down it doesn't happen. but that's annoying because i often wanna save what i have open. 

the spec list is as follows:
Asus Prime Z370-P
Intel Core i3 8100
AMD R9 290X
16GB Ram

Bitfenix Whisper 850W PSU
a bunch of drives

i am running a Windows Insider build so maybe that has something to do with it, but i doubt that, because it does fully turn off if i put it in hibernation mode. 

i bought almost all parts in it used so i can't return anything. if this can't be fixed i'll just have to live with it. 

She/Her

Any cats around ? Turn off wake up by keyboard\mouse.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Any cats around ? Turn off wake up by keyboard\mouse.

no pets get into my room so that's not it. i'll try turning that off though. 

She/Her

Another possibility is that Windows wakes up PC to install updates, check schedule.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

@Juular i looked in the bios i can't find that setting. ewvery other "wake by" optionw as already disabled. 

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Another possibility is that Windows wakes up PC to install updates, check schedule.

can it do that?

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Twilight said:

@Juular i looked in the bios i can't find that setting. ewvery other "wake by" optionw as already disabled. 

can it do that?

Yes.

Sometimes mine will wake up from folding in the middle of the night to do some random auto-update or let me know that Windows Defender is very busy doing exactly what it's been doing for months.  It's great

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

19 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

Yes.

Sometimes mine will wake up from folding in the middle of the night to do some random auto-update or let me know that Windows Defender is very busy doing exactly what it's been doing for months.  It's great

I can personally attest to this on a Ryzen rig. Windows Update likes to be a sack of shit and turn on directly after putting it into sleep mode every once in a while on my desktop.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Check your advanced Windows power options and make sure that Wake Timers are disabled.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM