[SOLVED] Weird GPU crash RTX 2080S

DividedByZero

I'm currently using a ZOTAC 2080 Super Twin Fan graphics card in my new build. All the hardware in this build is new and today is the third day I run it. However today weird crashes started happening. When playing GTA V for anywhere between 1 and 1 and half hour my displays would stop receiving input and the fans on the graphics card would go up to a 100%, on top of that the RGB logo also turns off. The display no longer turns on at this point but the PC is still running since I can still hear Discord and continue talking on discord but I have no video output. The temperatures and power usage are all in check under load and never exceeded what they shouldn't exceed. This seems to be a known issue but none of the ideas that I found on the internet helped me fix this issue.

On top of that event viewer also shows the following:
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Here's a list of things I tried:

- Re-seating the card

- Using a different plug on my PSU to power the card

- Reinstall the driver

- Check voltages on the motherboard, none deviate greatly from their targeted value

The cable that came with my motherboard connects with a single 8 pin and splits into an 8 pin and a 6 pin. Could it be that one port is power limited and my GPU is surpassing that limit?

I'm at a loss for what to do now. One thing I haven't tried is downgrading to a previous driver version and I'll try that shortly.

From all of the testing I've done the card just seems borked all together so I'm just going to send it back and have it refunded or replaced.

2 minutes ago, DividedByZero said:

Using a different plug on my PSU to power the card

What PSU ?

2 minutes ago, DividedByZero said:

The cable that came with my motherboard connects with a single 8 pin and splits into an 8 pin and a 6 pin.

That's irrelevant because motherboard supplies no more than 75W through PCI-e slot anyway and it's AFAIK supplied by main 24-pin cable.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

What PSU ?

Corsair RM850 Yellow Label. Should've mentioned that in the original post, my bad.

4 minutes ago, DividedByZero said:

Corsair RM850 Yellow Label. Should've mentioned that in the original post, my bad.

Well, it's not that terrible but it's old and probably isn't capable of powering the GPU this powerful reliably. Do you have access to some other good PSU to test it ?

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Well, it's not that terrible but it's old and probably isn't capable of powering the GPU this powerful reliably. Do you have access to some other good PSU to test it ?

My apologies seems like it isn't the yellow label but the black label. I thought the yellow label was the 2019 one. Apart from that I have an old yellow label RM750 to try it with.

1 minute ago, DividedByZero said:

My apologies seems like it isn't the yellow label but the black label. I thought the yellow label was the 2019 one. Apart from that I have an old yellow label RM750 to try it with.

Try it, wouldn't hurt.

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

Try it, wouldn't hurt.

I'll try the older driver first and then I'll give that a shot. Neither GPU nor CPU are overclocked so I shouldn't be dealing with power limit issues but it maybe another issue with the PSU.

Older driver makes no difference and actually made it worse seeing as it crashed like this much sooner than it did before. Trying older PSU right now.

I tried the graphics card in a completely different system, same issues. So I'm just gonna send it back and either request a refund or a replacement.