NAS Speed Question

Im thinking about building a DIY Nas with some old parts and am not very knowledgeable with networking so I had a couple of questions.

Uses will be for movie storage and to store videos I take from traveling so that I can work off the NAS on my adobe premiere projects.

My PC hasnt been built yet as I am waiting for availabilty on the 3950x but the motherboard I will be using doesnt have  10gbps port or an extra pci slot to install one.

so I am wondering if I attach my NAS to the router, will my speed be limited by the speed of my router? Will it be the same effect whether i write or read to the NAS? (if so, any recommendations to get 10gbps?)

Will SSDs be more of the bottle neck?

Also, a side note, any recommendations for a good itx case or a small form factor cases that has a good amount of 2.5 ssd bays?

Thanks!

the drives themselves not the network will be the limiting factor and how much data is cached , same as if you just plugged it into the desktop you are planning on using anyway without it being on the network

Most consumer routers are only capable of Gigabit. Plugging into that will introduce a unnoticeable amount of latency but the max read/write performance you'll see is ~115MB/s.

If your motherboard has no slot available for a 10Gig AIC or lacks a 10Gig capable USB port (usually Type C) then you're SOL. The NAS will also need a 10Gig NIC.

You could do a P2P connection (connect your computer directly to the NAS) then configure Static IP addresses. It'd allow you to connect at full 10Gig without the need for a compatible Switch/Router.

6 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Most consumer routers are only capable of Gigabit. Plugging into that will introduce a unnoticeable amount of latency but the max read/write performance you'll see is ~115MB/s.

hmm, Im gonna have to do some research. I dont know if that would be adequate to use it with premiere 

If your motherboard has no slot available for a 10Gig AIC or lacks a 10Gig capable USB port (usually Type C) then you're SOL. The NAS will also need a 10Gig NIC.

I was actually trying to find a USB-C to 10gig port, but when I googled it, all i got were thunderbolt connections and usb hubs, so I assumed that it wasnt a thing. Do you know what I should be searching in amazon? I only looked at the first page.

You could do a P2P connection (connect your computer directly to the NAS) then configure Static IP addresses. It'd allow you to connect at full 10Gig without the need for a compatible Switch/Router.

what would I be connecting it by?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, JomeytheHomey said:

I was actually trying to find a USB-C to 10gig port, but when I googled it, all i got were thunderbolt connections and usb hubs, so I assumed that it wasnt a thing. Do you know what I should be searching in amazon? I only looked at the first page.

Now I'm second guessing if the one I'm thinking of was Thunderblt 3 or USB C. I can't seem to find it. It was featured on LTT. Sorry. If I'm wrong then you're REALLY SOL. I have to ask though why is a PCI_e slot not available? Is it Mini-ITX?

14 minutes ago, JomeytheHomey said:

what would I be connecting it by?

That's entirely dependent on what medium or NICs you happen to acquire and can use. If  PCI_e slots are available NICs like the Mellanox Connect X-2 are cheap. Then a couple 10gbit Transceivers and a fiber cable (also cheap) would get the job done. Setup static addresses and a SMB share on the NAS you'll be able to connect to the NAS from Windows Explorer over that network.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Now I'm second guessing if the one I'm thinking of was Thunderblt 3 or USB C. I can't seem to find it. It was featured on LTT. Sorry. If I'm wrong then you're REALLY SOL. I have to ask though why is a PCI_e slot not available? Is it Mini-ITX?

That's entirely dependent on what medium or NICs you happen to acquire and can use. If  PCI_e slots are available NICs like the Mellanox Connect X-2 are cheap. Then a couple 10gbit Transceivers and a fiber cable (also cheap) would get the job done. Setup static addresses and a SMB share on the NAS you'll be able to connect to the NAS from Windows Explorer over that network.

Yea I guess im SOL. My next build is gonna be in a mini-ITX form factor

1 minute ago, JomeytheHomey said:

Yea I guess im SOL. My next build is gonna be in a mini-ITX form factor

Have you purchased the motherboard yet? You may be able to acquire one that comes with 10Gbit networking or Thunderbolt 3 at least. Alternatively consider using MicroATX so you get a couple extra PCI_e slots.