2990wx overclocking

Build:

CPU: 2990wx

GPU: 2x RTX 2080 Strix Sli NVlink

MOBO: x399 MSI Meg creation

NVMe: 2x 970 Samsung PRO 512Gb Raid 0

RAM: 32Gb (8gb x 4) vengeance 2400MHz, Clocked to 2667

Cooling: Hailea ultra titan hc500 (790watt cooling capacity)

PSU: 1300w seasonic prime 80+gold

UPC:1350W

I have a stable overclock of 4.15Ghz @ 1.35V.

I would like to achieve 4.25Ghz at least.

Curently I am at 4.2Ghz at 1.38V (Tdie 44C), aida64 extreme is no problem but after a couple cinebench runs it black screens.

I dont have any other volatges set. Can someone help with what else i should configure?

Thanks  

3 minutes ago, P.Cupa said:

Build:

CPU: 2990wx

GPU: 2x RTX 2080 Strix Sli NVlink

MOBO: x399 MSI Meg creation

NVMe: 2x 970 Samsung PRO 512Gb Raid 0

RAM: 32Gb (8gb x 4) vengeance 2400MHz, Clocked to 2667

Cooling: Hailea ultra titan hc500 (790watt cooling capacity)

PSU: 1300w seasonic prime 80+gold

UPC:1350W

I have a stable overclock of 4.15Ghz @ 1.35V.

Curently I am at 4.2Ghz at 1.38V (Tdie 44C), aida64 extreme is no problem but after a couple cinebench runs it black screens.

I dont have any other volatges set. Can someone help with what else i should configure?

Thanks  

Want to and can are different things.  The problem with overclocking is different chips have different capacities, and it’s variable essentially by luck.  I had bad luck with my cpu.  It just won’t do over 4ghz even though there are versions of it that will do nearer to 5ghz.  If every one of those chips was capable of those speeds it’s probably how it would have been marketed.  One of the annoyances of zen 2 is they put in what is essentially factory automatic overclocking and then made claims of speeds that CPUs could only sometimes reach.  It makes home overclocking kind of pointless, but it also means the advertised speeds sometimes cannot actually be reached at all.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I saw a lot people having problems going over 4Ghz and their voltages are higher. Im hoping I have a highly binned CPU and if my oc of 4.15Ghz stable, i have hope for 4.25GHz

That's a tough ask for this CPU.

Your only hope would have been per CCX overclocking so that you could get higher lottery CCXs higher, but that is not a feature on CPUs before Zen2.

34 minutes ago, P.Cupa said:

unlikely to happen. Zen + sorta stops clocking past 4,2 ghz. be happy with your curretn 4,15 ghz.