Strange power Loop Problem

Neon Nightrider

Long story lot of problems

A few weeks ago my computer would not turn on, it just power cycled over and over again.

I took it apart, all the ram and gpu out, mobo power, cpu power.

re-seat those components/connectors

computer turns on, runs for about 15 min, turns off.

not a power down, just off.

Its a Asus gryphon Z97 motherboard that has 4 LED boot up indicators (I believe, I do not know)

-CPU (i7-4770k)

-Ram ( hx318c10fk2x16 / hx318c10fbk2\/16 )

-GPU ( asus gtx 1070 )

-Storage (Adata ssd)

it always passes the cpu check but the light will stay on when checking the ram before it just Kills and restarts.

I only have 1 Dimm installed in the A2 slot

If it take the dimm out and replace it with another, the LED indicator will move to check gpu (uninstalled currently) then to storage, sometimes flash the bios screen before killing and restarting.

I have checked the 24 pin PSU voltage and its golden.

I have re-seat-ed the CPU, checked for bent pins, changed from AIO Liquid cooler to 212EVO (thought pump went out and could be overheat issue).

Checked all DIMMS by them self and in pared in every combination possible, no avail.

trying different bios flashes now.

edit: Replaced cmos battery and cleared timing with jumper pin and hit a post screen, restarted and back to power loop.

This sounds like one of those really hard problems.  It’s beyond my capacity but others might be able to help.  I’m replying mostly to bump it hoping someone with the appropriate skill level takes an interest.

i personally fear for your motherboard.  It could be many different things though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

have you overclocked your ram by any chance?

because you may have killed your ram

but to me this does sound like a problem with your motherboard and it may be time to upgrade

Ryzen 7 5800x, eVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC 8GB, Kingston Fury 32GB 3200 MHz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2, 3X Seagate 1TB HDD 7200Rpm, 2TB Seagate HDD, Cooler Master V 750W 80PLUS Gold Full Modular Power Supply, CoolerMaster N200

11 minutes ago, rmnsachy said:

have you overclocked your ram by any chance?

because you may have killed your ram

but to me this does sound like a problem with your motherboard and it may be time to upgrade

This brings up a point.  I don’t know what hardware has been damaged, but the probability that it is hardware is high.  Without a known good x87 or x97 system to test things on, finding out what is extremely difficult.  On any event if it is hardware, that hardware would need to be replaced which would cost money.  Money probably better spent on a newer system.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This brings up a point.  I don’t know what hardware has been damaged, but the probability that it is hardware is high.  Without a known good x87 or x97 system to test things on, finding out what is extremely difficult.  On any event if it is hardware, that hardware would need to be replaced which would cost money.  Money probably better spent on a newer system.

i would say that if you have any family or freinds with a motherboard that all your stuff is compatible with 

ask and see of you can test your hardware on it 

that way you can verify that it's not your main components

Ryzen 7 5800x, eVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC 8GB, Kingston Fury 32GB 3200 MHz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2, 3X Seagate 1TB HDD 7200Rpm, 2TB Seagate HDD, Cooler Master V 750W 80PLUS Gold Full Modular Power Supply, CoolerMaster N200