No boot device error

Fierstorm
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,
6 hours ago, Fierstorm said:

The USB didnt work along with trying to boot in uefi mode, how would i preform a system repair to fix a MBR issue.

You must prepare proper usb for uefi boot. Use Windows iso file and rufus.

The computer was working in the morning before i left for school, I turned it off like I always do. When I came home and turned on my computer the screen went black, and said "No boot device detected. Please insert boot device media. At this point I was a little confused mostly because i was just playing on it in the morning. I asked my friend to put windows on my USB and when I tried it, it wouldnt put up the No boot device statement but just left a single black dash on the screen (if anyone wants pictures I can try to provide them) so I left it there thinking it was trying to boot from the usb and its a slow thing. Nothing changed over an hour, so i used my brothers computer to format the SSD and install a fresh version of windows on it. When it was done, it still read the drive in bios but wouldnt recognize that the OS was on it. I also tried this with the other SSD i had and still, no luck. After searching everywhere I came up empty handed with people telling me just to select the boot device by hitting f12 (doesnt work), changing the primary boot option in bios (didnt work either). Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

When you go into the bios does the ssd show up as a drive? I suspect it doesn't. I would check power and sata cable at the drive and at the mobo. Try a different sata cable if possible.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

It shows up in bios as an ssd drive. I could try a different sata cable but i dont understand why it would be messed up for both of them using different sata cables along with different ports.

You may need to provide system specs(especially mobo and ssd models) then as the problem may be more involved.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

Cosmos Sv2:

• Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

SSD: Sandisk 256 gb

SSD Samsung 860 evo 500 gb

Mobo: gigabyte ht3.0

CPU: AMD FX 6300 6 core

GPU: AMD 570

PSU: 600 w Highpowered

RAM: 20 gigs of ddr4

Try disconnecting the secondary drive and boot only to the OS drive.

Cosmos Sv2:

Old School AMD:

It should be recognized as Windows boot loader in uefi mode. Probably you have set your bios to boot from legacy drive. Change boot to uefi only.

And no, detailed spec is useless - you write all that info and what? Was it useful for answer? :)

Nevermind, try that bios settings. Uefi boot only, secure boot disabled.

50 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It should be recognized as Windows boot loader in uefi mode. Probably you have set your bios to boot from legacy drive. Change boot to uefi only.

And no, detailed spec is useless - you write all that info and what? Was it useful for answer? :)

Nevermind, try that bios settings. Uefi boot only, secure boot disabled.

"no bootable device available, rebooting to bios"

Im kinda frustrated now

Try to check if settings in bios stays the same after reset / restart. If not, replace battery.

You could have a MBR issue which is preventing you from booting into your OS.

51 minutes ago, Zaquria said:

You could have a MBR issue which is preventing you from booting into your OS.

How would i fix it, if that was the case? and why all of a sudden would it happen, and why would i be able to change the contents of the drive using my brothers computer (using his SSD to boot) but not even use it to boot on my own

The settings do stay the same after restart, but what battery would i replace?

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

It is typical to ask for detailed system specs when troubleshooting as you may run into hardware specific quirks. In this case I didn't find any so far.

1 hour ago, Fierstorm said:

How would i fix it, if that was the case? and why all of a sudden would it happen, and why would i be able to change the contents of the drive using my brothers computer (using his SSD to boot) but not even use it to boot on my own

The settings do stay the same after restart, but what battery would i replace?

There is a cmos battery on the motherboard itself. You can find the steps here: https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000025368/processors.html

Select: "Steps to clear CMOS using the battery method"  And don't worry it's the same steps intel or amd.

If that still doesn't work you could try a system repair to fix the MBR like @Zaquria mentioned. If the bootable usb doesn't boot check the settings in the bios for usb options.

Cosmos Sv2:

Old School AMD:

6 hours ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

It is typical to ask for detailed system specs when troubleshooting as you may run into hardware specific quirks. In this case I didn't find any so far.

Yes, it's typical and, in most cases, pointless. In OP case it was not important what cpu he has, what kind of ssd he use, what type of ram he use and what bios version he has etc. Please tell me one point in configuration list that can make your answer different. Asking for detailed config is, in many cases, habit. People expect that config, somehow, reveal problem (maybe he has pcie card designed for preventing boot or something like that).

17 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Yes, it's typical and, in most cases, pointless. In OP case it was not important what cpu he has, what kind of ssd he use, what type of ram he use and what bios version he has etc. Please tell me one point in configuration list that can make your answer different. Asking for detailed config is, in many cases, habit. People expect that config, somehow, reveal problem (maybe he has pcie card designed for preventing boot or something like that).

The USB didnt work along with trying to boot in uefi mode, how would i preform a system repair to fix a MBR issue

6 hours ago, Fierstorm said:

The USB didnt work along with trying to boot in uefi mode, how would i preform a system repair to fix a MBR issue.

You must prepare proper usb for uefi boot. Use Windows iso file and rufus.

Thank you all for informing me what could be wrong with my computer, and how to fix it :) it works and I am extremely grateful