PC cycles on startup

Orman

I have a brand new build except for the GPU, and i've noticed that pretty much everytime i boot it up, the fans will spin up and it will cycle 2-3 times before actually posting. Sometimes after it posts, i also get an "out of range" message on the monitor. From what i can tell, all cables and components are attached correctly. And the only change i've done in BIOS is activating D.O.C.P. Any suggestions?

Specs:

MB: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 Mhz DDR4

PSU: Corsair RM750X V2

GPU: MSI R9 390 8GB

Sound like RAM, try disabling DOCP and see if it helps, then check the Motherboard QVL for your RAM kit to make sure it's verified for 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Sound like RAM, try disabling DOCP and see if it helps, then check the Motherboard QVL for your RAM kit to make sure it's verified for 3200MHz

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the motherboard QVL, and it supports my exact RAM kit at 3200Mhz. I will try disabling DOCP and see if that makes a difference. But isn't DOCP needed to set XMP profile for the RAM?

6 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Can be set manually, Asus boards can be a bit finicky with memory.

Ah i see. Btw, i see that you also have a Ryzen 5 3600X. Did you get yours to boost to 4.4Ghz? Mine only boosts to 4.2.

2 hours ago, glenalz81 said:

Yeah boosts to 4.4 no problem.

Latest BIOS and chipset drivers?

Yes, latest BIOS and chipset drivers. Do i need to change anything in bios in order to get it to boost to 4.4?

12 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

You should see single core boost to 4.4 and all core boost to 4.2.

Ah i see, i was looking at the all core boost.

However, my 3600X reaches 75C when gaming, such as BF5 multiplayer. And idle temps are constantly jumping between 40-55C. Is this really normal? It's cooled by a be quiet pure rock.

They run a little hotter than last gen but not by huge margins.

Rarely see mine over 60c with a 280 aio but it'll depend on case airflow/ambient temp etc. 75c isn't too bad.

22 hours ago, glenalz81 said:

They run a little hotter than last gen but not by huge margins.

Rarely see mine over 60c with a 280 aio but it'll depend on case airflow/ambient temp etc. 75c isn't too bad.

I think i found the issue to my original problem now though. It seems that when Precision boost overdrive is enabled, i'll get the power cycles before post. But after turning it off, it has yet to happen again. Do i lose out on any performance by keeping it disabled?

You will lose a little performance without PBO.  Did you have it enabled via BIOS or Ryzen Master?

Just now, glenalz81 said:

You will lose a little performance without PBO.  Did you have it enabled via BIOS or Ryzen Master?

BIOS

Try with Ryzen Master and see if it's any better.

Are you running with the Ryzen Balanced power plan within windows?

4 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Try with Ryzen Master and see if it's any better.

Are you running with the Ryzen Balanced power plan within windows?

Yes i am, although min processor state is set to 99%. Is that normal for Ryzen 3xxx?

Edit: sorry for the rather dumb questions, i upgraded from an i5 4690K, and last time i had an AMD cpu was a Phenom ii x4 945, so im very new to all of this.

Haha normal, that's the million dollar question. I'm on Agesa 1.0.0.3 and it's set at 99%, not sure if that changes with 1.0.0.4 but that one's not available for my board yet.