Looking for help choosing a monitor

CharmanderNerd

Hi Guys,

So I'm looking for some help when it comes to monitors as I'm a bit clueless. I have a budget of around £250 - £300 (GBP) and I'm not even sure where to start. I'm ideally looking for 144hz but for that price range I can only find 1080p monitors. Is it better do drop the 144hz to say 100hz and go up to 1440p? What type of panel should I be after for mostly gaming. I code a bit using VB but that shouldn't really matter what type of monitor I'm using. Any suggestions for which exact monitor too would be perfect!

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, CharmanderNerd said:

Hi Guys,

So I'm looking for some help when it comes to monitors as I'm a bit clueless. I have a budget of around £250 - £300 (GBP) and I'm not even sure where to start. I'm ideally looking for 144hz but for that price range I can only find 1080p monitors. Is it better do drop the 144hz to say 100hz and go up to 1440p? What type of panel should I be after for mostly gaming. I code a bit using VB but that shouldn't really matter what type of monitor I'm using. Any suggestions for which exact monitor too would be perfect!

Thank you!

Can you give us your PC specs?

18 minutes ago, Founders said:

Can you give us your PC specs?

Yup, I've got a Ryzen 2700X, Nvidia gtx 1070, 16gb dominator 3200mhz RAM and a 850W Corsair power supply (can't remember the specifics of that)

Based on your specs this is my recommendation, there's only one left so keep that in mind. With a 1070 you should stick with 1080p if you're after a high refresh rate display. 

Out of curiousity since I'm running a 1070 as well, does it just not have the horsepower to run a 1440 at 144 on most games? I've been looking at a new monitor of those specs as well.

7 hours ago, Founders said:

Based on your specs this is my recommendation, there's only one left so keep that in mind. With a 1070 you should stick with 1080p if you're after a high refresh rate display. 

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!

8 hours ago, Hetepiir said:

Out of curiousity since I'm running a 1070 as well, does it just not have the horsepower to run a 1440 at 144 on most games? I've been looking at a new monitor of those specs as well.

As a 1070 and 1440p owner, i can tell you that on the latest games on max settings it will struggle. I could Hit 80+ on a mix of medium and high settings, can probably Hit more as you lower the settings. Currently im using 3440x1440 and i can Hit pretty good fps when lowering the settings. 

Edit: my card is oc about 110mhz core and 510mhz memory, using i7 6700.