Analog camera security server?

So I’m not really sure if this belongs here but it made the most sense to me. I have a client who owns business and has a lot of analog cameras and about 30,000square feet of store to keep under surveillance. They have over 24 analog bnc cameras covering the store and it’s been doing okay for them for many many years. They are wanting to do more though but don’t want to spend money on another dvr setup as they already have 2. I told them about IP cameras and the flexibility you get with it but they don’t have a big enough budget to spend over $4,000 on everything required to set that up. They asked if it was possible to build a server for the analog cameras and I’ve never heard of that before. I did some research but wasn’t really getting any solid answers and was hoping some people here could help. Has anyone heard of or seen or even done something like this? If so I’d love to hear how it works and what is required for it. 

Convert the existing cameras to IP, the older hardware you need to build a server for analogue camera input is either expensive, hard to find or questionable service life left. Milestone should be within budget but it'll be on the upper end.

This 4 chanell server model works well with converting old systems to ip cameras:

https://www.amazon.ca/Alarm-com-ADC-VS420-Channel-Video-Server/dp/B0721852YZ

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

I was really excited about this idea of converting them, but they already have 28 analog cameras running. To convert them to up at $80 for 2 channels or I saw a 16 channel for nearly $1,000 would cost a fortune. Are they in too deep with the cctv cameras now where they’re just screwed either way financially? I saw some pcie cards but they also only had 2-4 channels. 

2 hours ago, CPU_bot said:

I was really excited about this idea of converting them, but they already have 28 analog cameras running. To convert them to up at $80 for 2 channels or I saw a 16 channel for nearly $1,000 would cost a fortune. Are they in too deep with the cctv cameras now where they’re just screwed either way financially? I saw some pcie cards but they also only had 2-4 channels. 

Last time I dealt with analogue camera system the server had something like 4, 5 or 6 cards in it and they were all very expensive. Unless you find a cheap source of cards I actually think converters are cheaper, mainly because that's what people want now days.