2008 iMac w/ new HDD not booting

I decided to resurrect my 2008 iMac and get rid of the damaged hard drive. After installation, I still get the white screen with the "? file folder". I've tried every combination of keystrokes to get into disk utility to format but to no avail. Even using the OS disk that came with it doesn't work, it will sound like it's being read but after a few minutes, it will spit back out. I get the cursor on the screen when I restart with "C" depressed but that's it. Not sure where to go from here. No other macs in the house, but working PC w/ windows 8. Any help/advice would be immensely appreicated

Have you restarted with the 'option' key pressed?  My 2005 macbook lets me select cd drive if I hold down the option key.  The timing is a little weird too. 

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.