Steam In-Home Streaming Review

Anyone else running into audio issues? I am getting a popping noise, and audio clipping, like very small chucks of the audio stream are being dropped. Besides that it has been working pretty well I must say.

It's not where you take things from - It's where you take them to. 

Anyone else running into audio issues? I am getting a popping noise, and audio clipping, like very small chucks of the audio stream are being dropped. Besides that it has been working pretty well I must say.

Audio seems to be the main issue of all for me too... mine was incredibly quiet for no reason :P

Exactly that. 

That would be up to how well the VM plays a game wouldnt it?

Yeah.

VirtualBox from Oracle doesn't let the guest OS touch the real hardware, so that's out for anything that isn't intensive in any way as it is (graphically weak Indie games and emulators are all you get basically). 

Hyper-V, on the other hand, does allow the guest OS to use your hardware as if it's the only one directly using it. It just hides part of it for the Host OS (based on your settings when you set the VM up). This would allow you to do that. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yeah.

VirtualBox from Oracle doesn't let the guest OS touch the real hardware, so that's out for anything that isn't intensive in any way as it is (graphically weak Indie games and emulators are all you get basically). 

Hyper-V, on the other hand, does allow the guest OS to use your hardware as if it's the only one directly using it. It just hides part of it for the Host OS (based on your settings when you set the VM up). This would allow you to do that. 

That's mainly because most intel mobos have virtualization disabled by default but once you enable it hardware can be used by virtualbox with no probs

That's mainly because most intel mobos have virtualization disabled by default but once you enable it hardware can be used by virtualbox with no probs

Being used by VirtualBox and being used by the OS are not the same things. 

If it's used by VirtualBox, to the OS, it's using the Virtualized GPU, RAM, etc etc. And the Virtualized GPU is terrible. 

If it's used by the OS, it sees your actual, real, hardware and directly uses it without the VM in the way. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The streming work great to somewhat new laptop but my old dual-core laptop with 2 gb RAM wasn't able to decode on the fly. Even 480p got chopy after a while and the fans of the laptop went to 100%.

Maybe there is a huge dust buildup somewhere inside? What's your specs to stream? At the moment I am not sure is the heat to much or is the pc to weak.

BTW I installed Ubuntu fresh and steam. Nothing else. Maybe I need a light weight distro. Sugestions?

I use i5-3470, 8GB kingston, SSD + 2x hdd, GTX 970