Hackintosh? how does it even work..

Go to solution Solved by FarmerBob,

I have always had  the latest and greatest Mac units due to my business. For years I have had great solid hardware that is still running great, and Apples number one flaw, they build great hardware, I have stayed with old hardware and gone the way of what is also called "Hackintosh". Go here and look around at the "Unsupported Hardware Communities" macOS and in the first posts in many of those threads will often be Detailed Disclaimers, Instructions, Information and Machine Lists for that particular OS that you may be in. Then you'll stumble on people that are doing all kinds of great things posting their triumphs or failures.

I had to grab a used Mac Pro 3,1 so I could run 10.5.8 when my old old workhorse G4 PPC died and it was cheaper to get the 3,1 than fix the G4. Plus things were moving so fast that PPCs were physically unable to keep up. If I hadn't needed to run 10.5.8 and in a hurry, which at the time Apple would only sell the server version and it cost me $19.99 (now the newer OS's are free), I would have taken my time and gotten a 4,1 that can easily be upgraded to a 5,1 or just a 5,1. That would have been the time to do it. Because since those machines have become very popular and with that the pricing has gone up. But every so often I read of someone that got one for an unbelievable price. Fingers Crossed!! But now with what I have found with what's available in the communities, I have and am running macOS: 10.5.8, 10.6.8, 10.9.5, 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.6 (my main work system and for a long time now), 10.14.1 Beta and 10.15.1 GM. And yes there are many ways to run Windoze in BootCamp, Linux, Chrome in Parallels (emulator). Which I use to run certain Apps that I don't want to reboot into another OS and come back. In Coherence Mode with Parallels you don't know that it's there.

All the models that I have listed have 4 Full Size Slide In/Out SATA Drive Slots and there are expansion kits that allow for drives to be put in the 2 DVD drive bays, which allow for Terabytes of storage. All kinds Video Cards can be installed. I'm have been running 4 nice sized monitors for years basically on stock video cards. Memory can be upped to some pretty high levels. My 3,1 has a spec ceiling of 32GB, but can take up to 128GB of RAM. There are a ton of things that you can do with and to these machines. That's why I have used them for decades.

Look in the MacRumors Forums which is a great place to find all kinds on this stuff. I recommend a 4,1 or 5,1 and then run from there. Oh! in most circumstances you don't need to worry about "drivers" the OS's are loaded with them, that's a PC thing. In the MacRumors forums it'll tell you the limitations of the hardware verses the OS and that's been a great resource for info, people and Warnings. Oh and you'll need DosDude1's site for the patches that create the installers that allow you to load Sierra to Catalina OS's on unsupported hardware with detailed lists of what can be used where. The bench testers have long said that the older hardware runs the new OS's better than the new stuff. Apple just locks out the old stuff. And you know when Dad puts a lock on something, it's a kids' moral imperative to ignore it!

P.S.

The new Monstrously Expensive Mac Pro has gone back to the giant "Cheese Grater" form factor that all the earlier really great towers that I have are . . .

Hi!

I Have been thinking to build a new system, and i want Mac system. But i have so many questions regarding the "hackintosh"

Some of you may have the answer! hope someone could help me ?

- How do i even update the drivers for the products, for example the motherboard?

- How do you even install the Mac operativsystem? And where do you buy it? 

- Can you switch between windows 10 and Mac?? depending which driver u install it on and u just swap it out. For example, today i need for example "Sony Vegas which is only avaible for Windows (So i switch SSD to the one i have installed windows on) But tomorrow i will be needing Mac since i need other software that is only supported on a mac.

- Are all parts supported on mac? For example running stuff in SLI etc. 

- Is there anything i should be thinking on when getting the Mac operativsystem

- Or is all of this just a waste of time, and i should just get myself a extra iMac... (its so expensive tho and waste of money ?)

Hope you all are having a great day! ???

3 minutes ago, CharmingPanda said:

Or is all of this just a waste of time, and i should just get myself a extra iMac

this.

if you want a Mac, get a mac, Hackintosh is for people who love to tinker and make stuff work, there are going to be many roadblocks you come up against. it seems like you just heard about hackintosh which means it's definitely not for you

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

this.

if you want a Mac, get a mac, Hackintosh is for people who love to tinker and make stuff work, there are going to be many roadblocks you come up against. it seems like you just heard about hackintosh which means it's definitely not for you

Thanks for a clear answer! Appreciate it ?

Just now, Norwegiantweaker said:

good luck is all i can say. after making it work i just wanted to delete it and buy a mac. wich i did, minus buying a mac cuz fuck apple. 

i really hate Apple products since they are so greedy... I cant even transfer a MP4 File from my PC to My new iPhone 11.. worst decision i did was gettin an iphone 11 <.< so many roads are blocked for me as a creator ;/

17 hours ago, CharmingPanda said:

i really hate Apple products since they are so greedy... I cant even transfer a MP4 File from my PC to My new iPhone 11.. worst decision i did was gettin an iphone 11 <.< so many roads are blocked for me as a creator ;/

Yeah, ios sucks. I had an iPhone X when it first came out. Returned it to my parents.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, wasab said:

Yeah, ios sucks. I had an iPhone X when it first came out. Returned it to my parents.

I Mean, the phone is great. But not for creators... that edit on a pc and dont have a mac. 
Not interested to go full Apple in my house.. ?

6 minutes ago, CharmingPanda said:

I Mean, the phone is great. But not for creators... that edit on a pc and dont have a mac. 
Not interested to go full Apple in my house.. ?

To me iOS is for people who care about aesthetic and pretty user interface over actual functionality. 

Android phones simply can do much more. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

To me iOS is for people who care about aesthetic and pretty user interface over actual functionality. 

Android phones simply can do much more. 

facts

I have always had  the latest and greatest Mac units due to my business. For years I have had great solid hardware that is still running great, and Apples number one flaw, they build great hardware, I have stayed with old hardware and gone the way of what is also called "Hackintosh". Go here and look around at the "Unsupported Hardware Communities" macOS and in the first posts in many of those threads will often be Detailed Disclaimers, Instructions, Information and Machine Lists for that particular OS that you may be in. Then you'll stumble on people that are doing all kinds of great things posting their triumphs or failures.

I had to grab a used Mac Pro 3,1 so I could run 10.5.8 when my old old workhorse G4 PPC died and it was cheaper to get the 3,1 than fix the G4. Plus things were moving so fast that PPCs were physically unable to keep up. If I hadn't needed to run 10.5.8 and in a hurry, which at the time Apple would only sell the server version and it cost me $19.99 (now the newer OS's are free), I would have taken my time and gotten a 4,1 that can easily be upgraded to a 5,1 or just a 5,1. That would have been the time to do it. Because since those machines have become very popular and with that the pricing has gone up. But every so often I read of someone that got one for an unbelievable price. Fingers Crossed!! But now with what I have found with what's available in the communities, I have and am running macOS: 10.5.8, 10.6.8, 10.9.5, 10.10.5, 10.11.6, 10.12.6 (my main work system and for a long time now), 10.14.1 Beta and 10.15.1 GM. And yes there are many ways to run Windoze in BootCamp, Linux, Chrome in Parallels (emulator). Which I use to run certain Apps that I don't want to reboot into another OS and come back. In Coherence Mode with Parallels you don't know that it's there.

All the models that I have listed have 4 Full Size Slide In/Out SATA Drive Slots and there are expansion kits that allow for drives to be put in the 2 DVD drive bays, which allow for Terabytes of storage. All kinds Video Cards can be installed. I'm have been running 4 nice sized monitors for years basically on stock video cards. Memory can be upped to some pretty high levels. My 3,1 has a spec ceiling of 32GB, but can take up to 128GB of RAM. There are a ton of things that you can do with and to these machines. That's why I have used them for decades.

Look in the MacRumors Forums which is a great place to find all kinds on this stuff. I recommend a 4,1 or 5,1 and then run from there. Oh! in most circumstances you don't need to worry about "drivers" the OS's are loaded with them, that's a PC thing. In the MacRumors forums it'll tell you the limitations of the hardware verses the OS and that's been a great resource for info, people and Warnings. Oh and you'll need DosDude1's site for the patches that create the installers that allow you to load Sierra to Catalina OS's on unsupported hardware with detailed lists of what can be used where. The bench testers have long said that the older hardware runs the new OS's better than the new stuff. Apple just locks out the old stuff. And you know when Dad puts a lock on something, it's a kids' moral imperative to ignore it!

P.S.

The new Monstrously Expensive Mac Pro has gone back to the giant "Cheese Grater" form factor that all the earlier really great towers that I have are . . .

On 11/24/2019 at 12:42 AM, FarmerBob said:

P.S.

Thank you so much for the information and the links! 

i will look in to it and see what i can do. ❤️