Slow drive benchmark?

homeap5

Today, after long time, I checked my SSD benchmark using AS SSD. Sequential, 4k and access time was fine, but 4K-64Thrd was much slower than I expected.

I'm using Samsung EVO 860 500 GB.

4K-64Thrd:

45 / 170 MB/s

I changed drivers to standard sata drivers - no difference. So I booted my old SSD using rarely as multimedia server over internet that still runs on 1709 version of Win10. And I plug my current system drive for test. Results was 380 / 320 MB/s!

Then I check my wife's computer (running on 1903) - this time her ssd drive just to be sure is nothing about previous upgrades. No - 4K-64Thrd are still much higher than mine in 1909.

I also check my another SSD (Samsung too) connected as second drive (just to be sure is not related to the fact that I tested system drive) - and results was as poor as in case system drive.

So no - it's not hardware issue for sure.

EDIT: I back to 1903 and problem is still there. Seems that problem begins earlier. Everything works good in safe mode.

Just ran a CDM 4k q1t1 read test on my 900p 280GB, and got around 150MB/s, whereas I'm sure in the past I had >250MB/s. I'm currently on 1909, and don't have any easy way to go back to 1903 to compare.

I even tried loading up the CPU as I found in the past the measured speed drops if the CPU is in lower clock (power save) state, but even at >4 GHz it made no difference.

Edit: it looks like it is all CPU kernal time when the bench is running. I wonder if this is due to spectre/meltdown related fixes. I'm on an Intel system.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

14 minutes ago, porina said:

Edit: it looks like it is all CPU kernal time when the bench is running. I wonder if this is due to spectre/meltdown related fixes. I'm on an Intel system.

I suspected that too - that is why I tested with 1903 and that version had fixes for spectre/meltdown as far as I know.

I'm also on Intel.

I'll wait a little longer - maybe someone else made some tests. So far I found another annoying crap - I must reinstall my Comodo Firewall after upgrade, because it stops working (and that was pain in the chip, because I don't want their AV stuff, just firewall, so I was looking 10 minutes for proper installer).

Update:

I made test with CrystalDiskMark for SSD and for RAM drive:

SSD:

SSD.png.c75e86d247ee6cdff7f4d22fa9efddad.png

RAM DISK:

RAM.png.7f4823a5327073a6d1ab558f7388659e.png

It may give some idea for someone - especially with high difference in ramdisk for Q32T16 and Q1T1 compared to small difference in the same test for SSD.

And take note that it's not ram testing speed, it's ramdisk testing speed test - ImDisk ramdrive may works different than raw ram access.

Well, small update - I revert to 1903 and problem is still there. So it must be something with my drivers.

Update 2 - finally after hours of trying (uninstalling software, uninstalling drivers etc) I found where problem is. After switching to another account - speeds are back to normal. Now I must restore 1909 from image again and find a solution (or just create another user and copy important data).

Ok, creating new user was faster and copying settings for all programs not so difficult and time consuming. Still keeping old profile to check differences (for sure - lot more registry entries, it may be difficult to find one that causes problem, but it will be worth it in the future).

Most problematic was unlink Microsoft Account and link the same account to other profile (strange, I can't find any help on internet - lot of people asks for transferring account to another computer, but not on another user on the same computer).

EOT

Some admin may close it.

19 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Update 2 - finally after hours of trying (uninstalling software, uninstalling drivers etc) I found where problem is. After switching to another account - speeds are back to normal. 

Good to hear you found the cause. The old user account rot... had this on another system with different symptoms (start menu not working). Wish there was a way to "repair" user profiles.

9 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Some admin may close it.

You can mark your post with the solution in it as "solved".

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

14 minutes ago, porina said:

You can mark your post with the solution in it as "solved".

It's not solved. I find workaround, not a solution, and I don't like this way of "fixing" things. Maybe some day I'll find real reason, that's why I keep my old profile.