installed a new ssd

HardStroke

i installed a new ssd and i want to install windows 10 on it and then use it as my primary boot device because i have a hard drive with windows 7 now and i will be formatting it.

do i just install windows 10 on it and set it to number 1 in the boot priority in the bios?

or do i need to set it up in some way for it to work

disk managment.png

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

That should be all you need. Set it as the boot drive, then install Windows on it (so you don't boot back onto the old disk when Windows reboots during installation).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Create the Windows 10 installler

Unplug all other HDDs

Install Windows onto the SSD

Reconnect other HDDs

Doing it this way guarantees the bootloader ends up on the correct drive.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Create the Windows 10 installler

Unplug all other HDDs

Install Windows onto the SSD

Reconnect other HDDs

Doing it this way guarantees the bootloader ends up on the correct drive.

i want to do it while the pc is on and the other drive are all connected

i don't really need this ssd with windows rn because im waiting for my new gpu to arrive

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

2 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

You'll probably end up regretting it if you do.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

19 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

i don't really need this ssd with windows rn because im waiting for my new gpu to arrive

If you do that then Windows WILL replace the bootloader of the Windows 7 drive and use it to boot the SSD meaning once you format the Windows 7 drive your SSD suddenly doesn't boot.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

35 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If you do that then Windows WILL replace the bootloader of the Windows 7 drive and use it to boot the SSD meaning once you format the Windows 7 drive your SSD suddenly doesn't boot.

and if i'll just leave the ssd connected for now will it be ok?

i didn't set it up yet so its connected and showing as an unallocated disk