Intel 975X Chipset support SSD

On 11/12/2019 at 4:36 PM, Mohamed Hosni said:

Hello Fellow Linus Tech tips  buddies i have quite a challenging Build i have created 

I have an MSI mother Board 975X platinum Power Up edition chipset 975X with an Intel CPU with E6600 Core 2 duo 2.4 GHZ with 4MB cache i have attached on it  WD hard disk Blue 500 and 1TB WD Green edition the question is can i attach an SSD to this PC, my thoughts y not as the SSD is a regular HARD disk and can attach on SATA cables :) but the limitation might be with the chip set or controller i have attached my motherboard Chipset and the controller version.

appreciate you guys :) as this challenge is quite challenging thanks for all the support

Chipset 975X.PNG

Controller .PNG

Get an adata brand ssd. It will be fine. Get a cpu with 12mb cache. Try to get  closer to 3ghz.

8 hours ago, Animal901 said:

Get an adata brand ssd. It will be fine. Get a cpu with 12mb cache. Try to get  closer to 3ghz.

you mean core 2 quad processor 

4 hours ago, Mohamed Hosni said:

you mean core 2 quad processor 

Not exactly... If your board can do core 2 quad. E8600 is core 2 duo 12mb cache 3.33ghz. Check the supported cpu list maybe you could run a quad. Modern boards are more open ended now. Older boards don't always handle quad core.

1 hour ago, Animal901 said:

Not exactly... If your board can do core 2 quad. E8600 is core 2 duo 12mb cache 3.33ghz. Check the supported cpu list maybe you could run a quad. Modern boards are more open ended now. Older boards don't always handle quad core.

yes my board does support core 2 quad i can check this cpu thank man

49 minutes ago, Mohamed Hosni said:

yes my board does support core 2 quad i can check this cpu thank man

You can get core 2 quad for a great price on Ebay.  Always check Intel ark and make sure it has the 12 mb cache.  I think i goofed on the e8600 its a 6 mb cache... which is ok. I would not recommend anything less than that.  Amd upped the standard on cache.

@Animal901 i have hanged the board to 1150 socket and a CPU 3.3GHZ and ddr3 8GB but i still wanna get the i7 4790K to this board what do you think 

5 hours ago, Mohamed Hosni said:

@Animal901 i have hanged the board to 1150 socket and a CPU 3.3GHZ and ddr3 8GB but i still wanna get the i7 4790K to this board what do you think 

4790k is a good CPU. bbut you might be able to find a better deal in the current market

975x does fine with SSD, got a DFI 975x Infinity but actually shelved. You even need not to look for >300mb/s transfer speed...

6 hours ago, Mohamed Hosni said:

You may also look for E3-12xx v3/v4, unless you're in need of integrated graphics.

16 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

You may also look for E3-12xx v3/v4, unless you're in need of integrated graphics.

ok 

17 hours ago, Animal901 said:

4790k is a good CPU. bbut you might be able to find a better deal in the current market

well most prices are over 320$ wanna find a good deal 

On 12/23/2019 at 12:27 PM, Sir0Tek said:

Are you going to overclock the cpu?

i may but dont think the board will let me 

12 minutes ago, Mohamed Hosni said:

i may but dont think the board will let me 

If it's related to the C2D:

MSI 975x Platinum does let you do OC, maybe not as far as the DFI but 3.5ghz on your C2D should be an easy target.

If it's related to the 4790K - then it's a waste of money with a board that doesn't allow OC. Lga1150 Xeons are not that expensive to get nowadays.

2 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

MSI 975x Platinum does let you do OC, maybe not as far as the DFI but 3.5ghz on your C2D should be an easy target.

yes i was not talking about the old motherboard i was refering the new board i got GA-H97-D3H 

Yes, I did notice it. The H97-chipset isn't made for OC so going for the i7-K is probably a waste of money, depending on the price you have to pay. Is the Gigabyte H97 rev 1 or 1.1?

9 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Yes, I did notice it. The H97-chipset isn't made for OC so going for the i7-K is probably a waste of money, depending on the price you have to pay. Is the Gigabyte H97 rev 1 or 1.1?

to be honest i dont know does it make a diffrence ?? i liked the i7-k cause of it's 4 cores and the base frequency and max memory is up to 32 gb, do you have any other recommendations 

The 1.1 versioen does also support Broadwell cpus.

I possibly do have other recommendations. What is the price you'd have to pay for the i7-K? 4 cores and the base-frequency isn't something that is reserved to the -K, let alone that there's no special restriction on memory-access throughout all supported processors.

I must admit that 4790K is the only one at 4ghz, but is it worth it? I'd go with anything around 3.5ghz with 4c/8t which is still a massive improvement over your previous chip, as long as the price is fine - a Xeon 4c/8t at 3.4-3.6ghz base is available at $70-$125 give or take.