Where to install the game launchers?

Go to solution Solved by Relph84,

So I did some testing and I started what Ryan_Vickers suggested and install the game launchers on the same drive (D).

But because I have a habit that everything has to be clean and clear, some launchers started creating separate folders on the D drive.

I even created folders called Rockstar or Origin and installed the launchers in those folders, but somehow they created outside of those folders their own folders.

Rockstar even made on the C drive for the social club.

Now I installed the launchers on the C drive and just changed the library path in the launchers.

Still needed to make my own folders for the D drive but it's now clean and nice :D 

Ty all for the replies and help!

Hello all,

So I just freshly installed my pc and added a 1 TB SSD to my system.

Now I want to install all my games on that 1 TB SSD D drive, but the question is where do I install the game launchers like Steam and Origin?

Should I put those on the C drive and create a path to the 1 TB SSD D drive to install the games there or install the launchers as well on the 1 TB SSD D drive?

Would one of the options have any benefit or does it not matter?

Greetings,

Relph

CPU Intel i7 12700F Motherboard ASUS H670 Wifi RAM Corsair 4X 8GB 3600 MHz GPU ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070

Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1TB | 980 1TB | 970 EVO PLUS 1TB Case Fractal Design Define Compact Tempered Glass Dark

You can do either.  It's easiest to simply install the launcher to the new drive.  All games will also go into that folder automatically.  Alternatively you can install the launcher to C and then make a new "library" for games on the new drive, but why bother with the extra hassle.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Okay ty both for your reply! ? 

CPU Intel i7 12700F Motherboard ASUS H670 Wifi RAM Corsair 4X 8GB 3600 MHz GPU ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070

Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1TB | 980 1TB | 970 EVO PLUS 1TB Case Fractal Design Define Compact Tempered Glass Dark

I'd put the launchers on your C drive (which I assume is a smaller, faster SSD than this new one) and configure them to store files on the D drive. Speedwise it probably makes no difference, but that will make it easier to find the game files if you like adding mods, modifying save files, or otherwise tinkering with the game files yourself.

30 minutes ago, dstarfire said:

I'd put the launchers on your C drive (which I assume is a smaller, faster SSD than this new one) and configure them to store files on the D drive. Speedwise it probably makes no difference, but that will make it easier to find the game files if you like adding mods, modifying save files, or otherwise tinkering with the game files yourself.

Yes, the C drive is a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and the 1 TB is a Samsung 860 EVO.

So I did some testing and I started what Ryan_Vickers suggested and install the game launchers on the same drive (D).

But because I have a habit that everything has to be clean and clear, some launchers started creating separate folders on the D drive.

I even created folders called Rockstar or Origin and installed the launchers in those folders, but somehow they created outside of those folders their own folders.

Rockstar even made on the C drive for the social club.

Now I installed the launchers on the C drive and just changed the library path in the launchers.

Still needed to make my own folders for the D drive but it's now clean and nice :D 

Ty all for the replies and help!

One trick you can use that's good for location OCD are symbolic links.  If a program insists on having a folder where you'd rather it wasn't, simply move the folder to where you want it to be, then make a symbolic link from where it was to the new location using mklink /d source dest in the command prompt.  You can then hide that link too

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.