2700x upgrade?

Hello everyone, 

I haven't posted here in a looong while so here it goes. I have a Ryzen 1200 paired with an Asrock a320m pro4 motherboard + a 500w PSU which is 80+ bronze rated. The GPU in the system is the AMD RX 580. My dilemma is the CPU upgrade path... I am currently looking at the 2700x, I like the cooler I like the CPU and it looks like the perfect option but my concern is the motherboard and PSU. Asrock says its fine PSU calculators say its fine... But is it though? 

Anyone with actual experience on the matter

Thanks and best regards. 

I can't speak to the mobo, but unless that GPU is pulling 250+ watts then the PSU should be just fine.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

11 minutes ago, RangeloFF said:

Hello everyone,

Just wait for B550 motherboards probably.

that one should work for the most part, but you probably want to throw a fan over the VRM

Also if you're just gaming the R5 3600 is better assuming it has bios support.

Does the A chipset allow RAM overclocking? Because that's pretty important for Ryzen.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

21 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just wait for B550 motherboards probably.

that one should work for the most part, but you probably want to throw a fan over the VRM

Also if you're just gaming the R5 3600 is better assuming it has bios support.

Does the A chipset allow RAM overclocking? Because that's pretty important for Ryzen.

Yes, I thought about the 3600 but the cooler that comes with the 2700x is the wraith prism so it will cool the VRM aswell and I will be sticking with the prism for a long time, atleast until I change the motherboard to start overclocking in the distant future. Also the +2 cores is a bonus in the long run. 

And yes the a320 I have has RAM overclocking. I currently have my 2 8gb sticks on 3200mhz cl16 (standard XMP profile) 

It also has PBO for zen+ and zen2 procossors after a BIOS update. 

7 minutes ago, RangeloFF said:

Yes, I thought about the 3600 but the cooler that comes with the 2700x is the wraith prism so it will cool the VRM aswell and I will be sticking with the prism for a long time,

Both of the stock coolers end up blowing over the VRM.

But the 7nm 6 core CPU, uses less power than the 8 core 12nm CPU naturally.

So the 6 core is safer for the VRM and faster for gaming overall

and it looks like there's bios support for it.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A320M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

I ran an overclocked R7 1700 on the B350 Pro 4 for a while, it's not the worst VRM ever with active cooling.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Both of the stock coolers end up blowing over the VRM.

But the 7nm 6 core CPU, uses less power than the 8 core 14nm CPU naturally.

So the 6 core is safer for the VRM and faster for gaming overall

and it looks like there's bios support for it.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A320M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

I ran an overclocked R7 1700 on the B350 Pro 4 for a while, it's not the worst VRM ever with active cooling.

Yeah I agree the 3600 is going to be the safer pick and I initially wanted to upgrade to it buut I saw the 2700x is literally the same price and +2 cores and I dont need to buy an after market cooler unlike with the 3600 (It literally has the same cooler as my 1200)

10 minutes ago, RangeloFF said:

Yeah I agree the 3600 is going to be the safer pick and I initially wanted to upgrade to it buut I saw the 2700x is literally the same price and +2 cores and I dont need to buy

Well if you only need the CPU cores you can get R7 1700s for close to ~$100 on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-3-7GHz-4-Eight-Core-Processor-CPU-only-no-heatsink-or-fan/133234846468?epid=235133854&hash=item1f056a6b04:g:hgQAAOSwqzFdxzE~

If you're after gaming performance the R5 3600 is better, and the added per core performance makes up for the lack of 2 extra cores a bit.

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Well if you only need the CPU cores you can get R7 1700s for close to ~$100 on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-3-7GHz-4-Eight-Core-Processor-CPU-only-no-heatsink-or-fan/133234846468?epid=235133854&hash=item1f056a6b04:g:hgQAAOSwqzFdxzE~

If you're after gaming performance the R5 3600 is better, and the added per core performance makes up for the lack of 2 extra cores a bit.

Yeah It looks like the CPU upgrade is going to come down to which one ia going to be discounted the most on black friday / cyber monday. 

The gaming performance is reaaly close and the whole Priam cooler helps abit with whole value of the 2700x.

1 minute ago, RangeloFF said:

Yeah It looks like the CPU upgrade is going to come down to which one ia going to be discounted the most on black friday / cyber monday. 

The gaming performance is reaaly close and the whole Priam cooler helps abit with whole value of the 2700x.

You can grab a Gammax 400 for $15-20 most likely on black friday as well

or the Arctic Freezer Xtreme is a $35 dual tower cooler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can grab a Gammax 400 for $15-20 most likely on black friday as well

or the Arctic Freezer Xtreme is a $35 dual tower cooler

Those coolers are not going to fit in my case. I have around 155mm of clearance. Thats why I feel the Waraith Priam is a really good fit for me. 

9 minutes ago, RangeloFF said:

Those coolers are not going to fit in my case. I have around 155mm of clearance. Thats why I feel the Waraith Priam is a really good fit for me. 

Then you just want the slightly older Hyper T4, which is 152mm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooler-Master-Hyper-T4-RR-T4-18PK-R1-120mm-CPU-Fan-For-Intel-and-AMD-Sockets/264315596997?hash=item3d8a6ff0c5:g:k0UAAOSwA3dYktT5

Or the Freezer Xtreme is a 131 mm cooler
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r3xfrH/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-ucacop0900csb01

Spoiler