Please review my future build part list! (3900X Workstation + gaming)

noyo87

Current computer: 

- Fractal Define R4

- Core i5-3570K

- Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H

- GTX 1080 (Gigabyte G1)

- ..etc

☝ My current computer is not fulfilling its tasks properly anymore. I'm a software developer on the day (hence I benefit processing power and virtualization for vms/docker/k8s on Linux), and at night I'm a gamer (on Windows).

So I plan for an upgrade soon-ish. I like my computers to be silent, powerful, low profile (no RGB).  I prefer Air-cooling because it's more reliable and less maintenance than watercooling (I also had a very bad experience with one of the first 120mm AIO on the market from Corsair). I'll carry over my GTX 1080 to this new build, (I'll wait next generation to upgrade).

As you can see, I also like to keep my computer quite a long time. My i5-3570K did the job for long time, I upgraded GPU, RAM and SSD with time. That's why I planned to take a X570, which I consider more future-proof. I'd enjoy a PCI-E 4 SSD or GPU in the future.

Build: 

Any comment, remark ?

Do I need extra case fans?

You should not need anymore case fans, three is enough. 

Do you need that expensive motherboard for any reason?  If you are interested in saving money, you could probably get a different x570 for around $200 on Newegg.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1500x OC 3.9 GHz
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 Tomahawk
  • RAM
    G-skill Ripjaws 2x8GB 2400MHz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
  • Case
    Thermaltake View 71
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 Pro (512GB). WD Blue 7200 RPM (1TB). Kingston A400 (120GB).
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 750W (80+ Bronze)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black LTT Edition

@Plouffe What other model would you consider for me ? I tried to have as much features as needed because sometime my needs changes and I might recycle  that machine. But I totally agree that this is overkill for my daily usage.

1 hour ago, noyo87 said:

@Plouffe What other model would you consider for me ? I tried to have as much features as needed because sometime my needs changes and I might recycle  that machine. But I totally agree that this is overkill for my daily usage.

The Aorus Elite or Pro and the Asus TUF are good boards for around 200$.

For the PSU the Corsair RMx or TXm 550w are around 100$ and will deliver enough wattage, you can get the 650w if you want more room for like 10$ more which will still be a better price for the same quality as the Seasonic.

Also if it's overkill for your daily usage you could take the 3700x to save 150$~.

Same for the SSD, a MP34 will be a little slower but for around 110$ it's worth considering.