Defragment incident

TigersGhost
Go to solution Solved by Xsilent(X),

Ouchem.... It was... what does that mean?

you moved files to another location so your files are broken :)

You killed its lifespan by tenfold. 

Nah thats not true he only fucked up his file system he needs to do a clean install to make it the same again.

So I decided to defragment my C drive.

Now when i start my computer, nothing works. I can move my mouse and thats all. Taskbar is a constant loading icon. And desktop icons don't react to anything. 

I can't do anything anything at all...

Please for the love of god tell me it was not an SSD?

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

Please for the love of god tell me it was not an SSD?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Oh ******* ****. I did not know that  :unsure:

So... can I do anything?

Oh ******* ****. I did not know that  :unsure:

So... can I do anything?

Not really. Maybe an OS reinstall will work.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not really. Maybe an OS reinstall will work.

Well I guess I can do that, no problem, as long as it will work  :(

Alright. Too late for that now. I'll see what happens tomorrow...

A moment of silence for the pain inflicted upon this ssd

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Our prayers go with you and your SSD

A moment of silence for the pain inflicted upon this ssd

:unsure:

Let's also not forget, the controller of the SSD who now has to painstakingly undefragment the data. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

you moved files to another location so your files are broken :)

Nah thats not true he only fucked up his file system he needs to do a clean install to make it the same again.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Just for future reference there is no point defragging an ssd. In the days (well we are still here so yeah) of HDD's it would physically move the data on one point of the disks inside to a new point to reduce loading times, so the header doesnt have to go to 5 different locations for the data, its all together, when i say physically move it, i mean on the magnetic platers, it does not effect your folder structure. however this irrelevant on ssd's as it does not matter physically where there data is, as there is no moving parts, so there is no waiting time for the "head" to get to the next chunk of data.

if you want to fix this, figure out the algorithm that the defrag tools uses for optimizing data storage, reverse engineer and then rerun.

or maybe i have gone to far.....

Oh thanks for all the info guys.

To get some more of you to facepalm, I did it on both my computers at the same time... But at least my main one still works perfectly. 

Phew. Good to know. At least I did not have any important files on that drive.

if you want to fix this, figure out the algorithm that the defrag tools uses for optimizing data storage, reverse engineer and then rerun.

or maybe i have gone to far.....

Yeah... that might be a little hard  :lol:

Ok alright. I have reinstalled windows and as far as I see... everything is fine and ok.  :)