Logitech MX Keys switch replacement

Shrepto

So... I'm an idiot and broke one of the switches on my MX Keys and was wondering if someone here knew where I could get a replacement.

4 minutes ago, Shrepto said:

So... I'm an idiot and broke one of the switches on my MX Keys and was wondering if someone here knew where I could get a replacement.

How did you manage to do that? You mean the cap, do you?

No, I mean the actual switch.  The cap is fine.  Tried lifting the cap off... didn't go so swell.

you can get genuine MX switches on aliexpress. shouldn't cost you more than a buck usually, but shipping might take a while.

alternatively you could buy a donor board somewhere secondhand and desolder the switch from there.

5 minutes ago, Shrepto said:

No, I mean the actual switch.  The cap is fine.  Tried lifting the cap off... didn't go so swell.

Fun... Don't do that next time.Try contacting Logitech, they should help.

The name of the keyboard is MX Keys, this is not a Cherry MX switch.  It is a scissor switch made by Logitech.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Fun... Don't do that next time.Try contacting Logitech, they should help.

Already gone that route, but they still haven't responded since Thursday.  Their phone line is only for technical help.

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

you can get genuine MX switches on aliexpress. shouldn't cost you more than a buck usually, but shipping might take a while.

alternatively you could buy a donor board somewhere secondhand and desolder the switch from there.

It uses scissor switches, it's not a mechanical keyboard.

Just now, Shrepto said:

Already gone that route, but they still haven't responded since Thursday.  Their phone line is only for technical help.

You could try calling them anyways, it's sort of technical help, if they can't help you they should connect you to those who can.

2 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

It uses scissor switches, it's not a mechanical keyboard.

oh, sorry about that. that's a pretty misleading product name ?

i'm not sure about scissor switches. if it is a loose individual switch you might be able to fix it, tough if it has some sort of membrane you might be out of luck.

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

oh, sorry about that. that's a pretty misleading product name ?

i'm not sure about scissor switches. if it is a loose individual switch you might be able to fix it, tough if it has some sort of membrane you might be out of luck.

The switch broke part of its plastic piece.  It is removable, that much I know, but with it broken it doesn't hold down the lower section of the key cap.  I don't know much about scissor switches, and I'm not sure where I could go to buy one.

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

I know that, it''s not mechanical, do you think that it is? I'm confused now.

It's still a scissor switch, not just a membrane.  On a side note, I'm done debating this with you.

Logitech's customer service said that they don't have replacement key caps after I clarified with 'Gerald' it was the scissor switch and not the key cap.  So apparently, if this isn't warrantied you're basically fucked.

Which is going to really piss me off after hearing these raving reviews about Logitech's customer service being top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I was able to find a direct replacement for this, which is apparently referred to as a 'hinge'.  Either way, glad I found it.  Crossing my fingers it works for the MX Keys, it looks like the exact same hinge.

http://www.machinaelectronics.com/store/keyboardkeys/5389

Cost me $7.50 for a single hinge, key cap, and rubber boot.  Only needed the hinge but can't find their number and didn't care to wait to order it last night.

• 1 year later...
On 11/13/2019 at 12:13 PM, Shrepto said:

I believe I was able to find a direct replacement for this, which is apparently referred to as a 'hinge'.  Either way, glad I found it.  Crossing my fingers it works for the MX Keys, it looks like the exact same hinge.

http://www.machinaelectronics.com/store/keyboardkeys/5389

Cost me $7.50 for a single hinge, key cap, and rubber boot.  Only needed the hinge but can't find their number and didn't care to wait to order it last night.

Hello there! Where you able to fix it? I seem to be in the same issue.