How to run GTA V in VR (Finally worth playing)

There is finally a GTA mod that's worth playing where the screen isn't warped looking because of vorpx. I also figured out how to increase the resolution (the tray tool doesn't work).

EDIT: Most of the steps in this guide are no longer relevant since the last update to the mod. Just follow the steps Luke Ross gives in the link below. I'll leave my steps up just to keep the information up about how to mess around with the settings file. Might be useful to someone.

Mod download link: https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod

Here are the steps I used to get it running smoothly and to increase the resolution a bit:

Step 1: Start game, go to settings.

Step 2: Under gamepad tab, change Targeting Mode to free aim.

Step 3: Under Camera, set the Independent Camera Mode to OFF.

Step 4: Under Camera, set First Person Vehicle Hood to OFF.

Step 4: Under Camera, set First Person Third Person Cover to ON.

Step 5: Save settings and shut down game.

Step 6: Copy contents of zip file to GTA V steam folder.

Step 7: Go to Documents, Rockstar Games, GTA V and make a backup of settings.xml

Step 8: Copy the settings.xml file from D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\Settings\High

to the GTA V folder in Documents and overwrite the file.

Step 9: Open the settings file with Notepad, find the line that controls the refresh rate and set it to 90.

Step 11: Save the file and open the game again.

Step 12: Go to the in-game settings, change Vsync to off then save & exit the game again.

Step 13: Open your Nvidia Control Panel, go to Manage 3d Settings, click on the drop down menu next to DSR and check all of the boxes. Leave the DSR smoothness at 33%.

Step 14: In the settings file, set the resolution to 2560 x 1440

Step 15: Save the file and open the game again. Load the story mode and make sure that the frame rate is 90 fps with the Oculus Tray Tool.

*You can increase the pixel density a little more by first unticking read only in the settings file again with the game open, going into the advanced settings in the game, and increasing the frame scaling mode. Set the file to read only again when you're done and make sure that the refresh rate didn't get set back to 60 again.

If the game crashes whenever you open your desktop:

.Go to documents\rockstar games\gta v
.Right click the settings file, untick read only if you need to and click apply.
.Open the file in notepad, change windowed value to 1.
.Change PauseOnFocusLoss value to 0.
.Save the file.
.Right click it and change it to read only again.

(You might also need to make sure your resolution setting in windows is bigger than the resolution the game is running at.) 

And that's it. I've been playing this all weekend and I hated all of the GTA V mods that came before this. It's finally playable so if you've tried older mods, don't dismiss this one.

• 4 months later...