Need some help

Hey everyone,

I hope iam putting this in the right topic... iam new on this site and got to learn still.

The thing I need kinda help with is this. I want to build like a server or desktop pc just one and share it with my family that live like a couple of streets away from me.

Internet speed here is no problem I can get 1 gb down and up if needed so I hope that isnt a bottleneck. 

At first I was thinking to build a server and put windows server 2019 on it. But I have no idea if you can game on windows server... 

And what kinda hardware would I need to get like 6 people use this server\pc? 

Or can I follow the idea of linus 7 gamers 1 CPU ?but can you share a vm over the internet? 

So as I said I hope iam at the right topic and I hope you guys will help me. Sorry if my English is bad iam just a dutch guy looking for help.

Welcome to the LTT forums! Before you even start to consider this does your internet connection have a least 20mbps of upload speed?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Welcome to the LTT forums! Before you even start to consider this does your internet connection have a least 20mbps of upload speed?

Yes he has gigabit internet.

1Gb/s up & down 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

Yes he has gigabit internet.

1Gb/s up & down 

.... I missed that... Thanks!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Thank you for your quick response. Yes right now I have 500mbps upload and 500mbs download. And if needed I can get 1000mbps upload and 1000mbps download on fiber 

I think you might have to look towards remote access network for what you want to achieve. not my expertise so hopefully someone else can help you☺️

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Jelle Hopman said:

Thank you for your quick response. Yes right now I have 500mbps upload and 500mbs download. And if needed I can get 1000mbps upload and 1000mbps download on fiber 

Ok for the moment on the hardware side of things, I can help, on the software side I need to do more research, as the most basic of services such as Chrome Remote Desktop are extremely laggy. For hardware you are going to need/want at least 4 relatively fast cores per player, and are going to need a decent GPU for every player. 8 to 16 GB of RAM for every player, and etc.

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

I think you might have to look towards remote access network for what you want to achieve. not my expertise so hopefully someone else can help you☺️

Thank you for your response. Well that sounds kinda a good idea. I have not a lot experience with that but would love to learn about it haha

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Ok for the moment on the hardware side of things, I can help, on the software side I need to do more research, as the most basic of services such as Chrome Remote Desktop are extremely laggy. For hardware you are going to need/want at least 4 relatively fast cores per player, and are going to need a decent GPU for every player. 8 to 16 GB of RAM for every player, and etc.

Thank you for your response. Okay I will look for a cpu with 24 cores at least or more. or 2 cpu's. What kinda GPU do you prefer?. I have a budget around 6000 to 7000 euro max will that be enough? Btw it will be used by 6 family members 

11 minutes ago, Jelle Hopman said:

Thank you for your response. Okay I will look for a cpu with 24 cores at least or more. or 2 cpu's. What kinda GPU do you prefer?. I have a budget around 6000 to 7000 euro max will that be enough? Btw it will be used by 6 family members 

So you basically want a ‘home’ pc to share with the family If understand?

14 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

So you basically want a ‘home’ pc to share with the family If understand?

Yes or server but I dont know if you can game on windows server 2019...

2 hours ago, Jelle Hopman said:

Yes or server but I dont know if you can game on windows server 2019...

Yes you can, but you could probably get away with Win 10 pro.

3 hours ago, Jelle Hopman said:

I will have to see, as I don't yet know the cost of the necessary software.

7 hours ago, Jelle Hopman said:

Buddy that looks like some cool project you have going on there! What I can tell you is that you should wait for the new Ryzen Threadripper to come out where they have a 24-Core variant that should fit your needs. Like the others said you'll also be needing shared VRAM too so going multi-GPU wouldn't be a bad option. Here's a list with last-gen Threadripper for comparison but with all the new gear added: 

I left some breathing room for the cost of a case, newer CPU and motherboard. And using 2080Ti SLI would have made the end price unnecessarily high. 

Cheers man and good luck! ?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/KjL8YH

CPU: AMD Threadripper 2970WX 3 GHz 24-Core Processor  (€999.00 @ Megekko) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€139.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND) 
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming ATX TR4 Motherboard  (€403.95 @ Megekko) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€339.00 @ Azerty) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€339.00 @ Azerty) 
Storage: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€400.05 @ Azerty) 
Storage: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€400.05 @ Azerty) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB AORUS Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (€829.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB AORUS Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (€829.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND) 
Power Supply: Corsair 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€349.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND) 
Total: €5366.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 07:52 CET+0100

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver | SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4; 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Corsair Crystal 680X | Monitor: Eve Spectrum 4K | Keyboard: Logitech G513 Romer-G Tactile | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed

i mean really, might be best building 2 separate  PC’s and creating a network of them. Costs will be done hugely; you can still use a network based drive for files etc