Windows 10 installation help!

BaconLord222
Go to solution Solved by Gaurav S Rao,
31 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

Hey guys, I need some help.

I have an a laptop that I use to DJ often, and it's been really slow with booting, even with an upgrade to an SSD.

I spoke to a local computer repair guy, he tested the computer's speed against his own clean install of windows 10 and it was apparently a lot faster, so he recommended that I reinstall windows 10 on the machine.

I've backed up all the files onto my desktop PC, and have attempted to install windows, only to come to an error telling me that a file called "winload.efi" doesn't exist.

I have literally no idea why this is showing up, as I am installing from a windows 10 usb key directly from microsoft (the one that I got with my desktop).

20191029_185104.thumb.jpg.e32407320c46aeefc1f81e87a6afa9da.jpg

edit: photo of the screen attached.

I suggest you download the installer from Windows Media Creation tool and create a bootable USB Flash drive directly via the tool or use Rufus.

It would be much better than using a DVD as you will get the latest version of Windows 10 (1903) compared to probably an RTM build on the official USB drive and then having to update.

I have an a laptop that I use to DJ often, and it's been really slow with booting, even with an upgrade to an SSD.

I spoke to a local computer repair guy, he tested the computer's speed against his own clean install of windows 10 and it was apparently a lot faster, so he recommended that I reinstall windows 10 on the machine.

I've backed up all the files onto my desktop PC, and have attempted to install windows, only to come to an error telling me that a file called "winload.efi" doesn't exist.

I have literally no idea why this is showing up, as I am installing from a windows 10 usb key directly from microsoft (the one that I got with my desktop).

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

try remaking the usb key , is this error when you're trying to boot the usb or the drive after installing the windows instalation files

Just now, emosun said:

try remaking the usb key , is this error when you're trying to boot the usb or the drive after installing the windows instalation files

This error is when I'm trying to boot the usb, to reinstall windows. The usb wasn't made by me, it was the official microsoft install one that came with my desktop pc (photos attached). Should I grab a random usb and make an install disk?

20191029_190237.thumb.jpg.342b8a3bbfb454a4da6e340ad09e9237.jpg

20191029_190208.thumb.jpg.83aedbc60a9c5853255ddb6afde971c7.jpg

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah just make a new one and give that a try instead then

I'm doing that now. I'll update this thread on what happens

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

4 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

I'm doing that now. I'll update this thread on what happens

Like Emosun said, get a new USB and download the iso on it.
Boot and see if that works.

Find out if the official MS one is a full fat OS or if it was sold to you buy the manufacture of the computer.
If you buy a computer from Dell for instance with the OS installed then your Windows install media might be cut down and modified. Sometimes this can cause unwanted behaviour later on if the computer is modified, and sometimes will plainly refuse to run on another machine.
Then there's also a recovery disk, and an install disk. They are different, but people think they are interchangeable.

It's not a race to the bottom.

Just now, 0x1e said:

Like Emosun said, get a new USB and download the iso on it.
Boot and see if that works.

Find out if the official MS one is a full fat OS or if it was sold to you buy the manufacture of the computer.
If you buy a computer from Dell for instance with the OS installed then your Windows install media might be cut down and modified. Sometimes this can cause unwanted behaviour later on if the computer is modified, and sometimes will plainly refuse to run on another machine.
Then there's also a recovery disk, and an install disk. They are different, but people think they are interchangeable.

I got the USB with my desktop from PCCaseGear, and its windows 10 home. I'm guessing that its the original microsoft one, but I might be wrong. The new install USB is nearly ready to go, so I'll give that a go in a minute.

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

31 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

I suggest you download the installer from Windows Media Creation tool and create a bootable USB Flash drive directly via the tool or use Rufus.

It would be much better than using a DVD as you will get the latest version of Windows 10 (1903) compared to probably an RTM build on the official USB drive and then having to update.

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

1 minute ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

not to mention the lack of bloatware that comes with an iso file.

But in all honesty, i think he might run into the same issue with the new bootable usb.

You can try to disable secure boot, i know this is what fixed it for one of my work laptops.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

Update: I'm setting up windows as it would happen normally. Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X